Push installing Mac App Chrome to a specific computer

MattTHL
New Contributor II

Hi everyone,

Running some tests here and have a question. I currently have Google Chrome setup as a Mac App that installs automatically on all the devices in our environment. If I uninstall it manually, how long will it take before it automatically reinstalls again?

Currently I have set the distribution so that it installs automatically on all systems and therefore it isn't available in Self Service. Without it being available in Self Service the end user could install it from the internet but I was hoping there was a way to have it done by Jamf because I am under the impression that if it's installed from Jamf then the updating works better later on.

Does anyone have any experience with this and can you advise me on best to push out individual apps in situations like this or if it's alright to simply have the end user install Chrome from the web without any concerns about it not updating properly later on. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@MattTHL The Jamf App deployment mechanism isn't going to re-install until your Mac submits an Inventory report indicating that Chrome isn't installed so the answer to your "How long..." question would be another question "How often do your Macs report inventory?"

The Jamf Pro pre-configured Update Inventory policy is set to run only once a week, but it's not uncommon to change that to once a day. You really don't want to be running it more often than that, but you can always create a Policy only triggered via Self Service with a Maintenance payload that does an Update Inventory and name it something like "Check My Mac Configuration" or "Update My Inventory" so the user can force an inventory report.

MattTHL
New Contributor II

This is help, thank you!

MikeyK
New Contributor III

You can also create multiple instances of the Mac App as well. In  your case, create a "Self Service" Distribution along with the other one for Install Automatically of Google Chrome. 

MattTHL
New Contributor II

I appreciate that innovative option, thanks MikeyK.

I've also found a few things out I can share:

• Our instance reinstalls apps as part of a once a day check-in, if they're missing. Waiting for that ~24 period isn't ideal is all situations, hence this post.
  • I found out it isn't a problem with Jamf to go out and install a piece of software directly from the vendor, e.g., Google Chrome, and have Jamf keep it updated later on.