Pushing AdobeSerialization unix executables, thoughts

ruschg
New Contributor II

Largely a noobish question, but has anyone come up with an efficient way to pass unix executables relating to Adobe Serialization and Removing the existing License.

I've used CCP to get the AdobeSerialization and RemoveVolumeLicense unix executables...now I'm just wondering how I can pass these along via Casper.

My big road block is that CA doesn't access unix executables directly. Thoughts appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

joelreid
New Contributor III

To your procedure question, there are lots of ways to package things. To keep my answer in the Jamf wheelhouse:

1. Choose an appropriately "out of the way" but SIP-safe location where a given CCP-generated AdobeSerialization folder will live on the eventual client machine, move it there, and rename it appropriately if you'll have multiple.
  2. Create a .dmg from that folder in Composer. See the guide for more info, the "…Dragging Contents From the Finder" section in particular in this case.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

joelreid
New Contributor III

[ standard disclaimer applies; may be breaking best practices, just my anecdotal case, etc... ]

We have a pile of command line tools we deploy for our own jss-scripted use on deployed Macs. This binary is now just another one of them. I have CC-license-packages and licenser-scripts waiting in the JSS to be installed and run, respectively, on the appropriate clients.

Implementation-wise, I packaged up one AdobeSerialization folder for each license, directly as output by CCP. For modularity, each policy that installs a CC app subsequently fires the appropriate one-liner like jamf policy -event adobeserializer12 for the license in our records as #12, for example. That second, chained policy contains: 1) the AdobeSerialization folder for that license, —as a complete package for [re]install since it's so small!— and 2) the "After" script to actually run the tool now that the software and serializer binary are installed.

Great for when licenses change, as it keeps everything modular and swap-able. Might not be best, might now work everywhere, but works for us. Good luck however you approach it.

joelreid
New Contributor III

To your procedure question, there are lots of ways to package things. To keep my answer in the Jamf wheelhouse:

1. Choose an appropriately "out of the way" but SIP-safe location where a given CCP-generated AdobeSerialization folder will live on the eventual client machine, move it there, and rename it appropriately if you'll have multiple.
  2. Create a .dmg from that folder in Composer. See the guide for more info, the "…Dragging Contents From the Finder" section in particular in this case.

ruschg
New Contributor II

@joelreid thank you sir - I'll look into the methods you've described.

mikeh
Contributor II

I do pretty much exactly like @joelreid, except that we don't run the serializers whenever we install an Adobe application. We build our packages using CCPackager and include the serial number in the package. We use the reserializer for those times when the apps lose their serial number - such as when somebody uninstalls one of the applications.

Another option, if you don't require modularity, is to create a completely self-contained pkg-format package that installs the files and initiates the reserializer script. Using a utility like The Luggage or Simple Package Creator, build a package that would place the AdobeSerializer binaries and support files in the appropriate place, and then include the scripts as the pkg's post install script. You can use also Composer to do something similar.