Questions surrounding smart groups, computer searches, and operators

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I have a strange issue that I can't seem to wrap my head around. I'm creating smart groups and also running searches within Casper. And even though I'm using the same criteria (or what I logically would think is the same criteria), I'm getting different numbers in both cases.

Example:
Smart group "A" is scoped for "Application Title" IS "Universal Type Client.app". This gives me 366 results.
Smart group "B" is scoped for "Application Title" IS "Universal Type Client.app" AND "Application Version" IS "4.2.3". This gives me 0 results. This is expected because we have not pushed this version of the software out.
Smart group "C" is scoped for "Application Title" IS "Universal Type Client.app" AND "Application Version" IS NOT "4.2.3". This gives me 365 results. Shouldn't this get the same results as Smart Group A?

If I change Smart Group B so that the Application Version is using operator "LIKE" instead of "IS" and I'm getting the result 2 results. But again, I've never deployed version 4.2.3. The 2 computer results are showing they have Universal Type Client 4.1.0 installed. Just for the record a search in Casper shows that I have 75 matches for this version 4.1.0 of Universal Type Client. Shouldn't I be getting result of 0 though?

If I change Smart Group C so that the Application Version is using operator "NOT LIKE" instead of "IS NOT" and I'm getting the result 364 results. But again, I've never deployed version 4.2.3, so shouldn't I have the same results as Smart Group A? I thought maybe these are the 2 results from the change I made in Smart Group B, but those two computers show up whether I use operators "NOT LIKE" or "LIKE"!

Even more perplexing, if I run a search for "Applications" "Universal Type Client.app" and "Version" is left blank, I get a result of 371. Should I not get the same results as Smart Group A?

0 REPLIES 0