Quick Start iCloud restore interfering with PreStage enrollment for iPhones?

mmcguire
New Contributor

I ran into an issue where a Supervised, Managed phone became unmanaged during iCloud restore via Quick Start. Once the phone reaches the home screen, Self-Service doesn't install, and the phone doesn't check in with Jamf. I believe at least one of the config profiles is missing.

I *think* what is happening is that the iCloud restore brings down the config profiles from the old phone that replace the ones PreStage enrollment installed, and since it's from a different device, they can't or don't apply.

The workaround I found was to manually re-enroll the phone via the enrollment URL, as doing so downloads and re-installs the config profiles. As far as I can tell, after the workaround, the phone is fully managed and never lost its supervised state.

While I have a workaround, this isn't ideal for remote users and isn't close to the zero-touch deployment we aim for. Does anyone know what is the best practice here? Surely there must be a correct way to use core Jamf Pro features like PreStage Enrollment with core iOS features like iCloud restore?

4 REPLIES 4

Nicholaus
Contributor

iCloud restore bypasses the PreStage enrollment settings because it's telling the device you want it to be in the same state it was when backed up. Unfortunately, I don't believe it backs up and brings config profiles as part of that backup. I have that screen skipped during enrollment for that reason. Users can sign into iCloud once they have gone through enrollment and get all their data back without needing to restore from backup. The other option is to do the workaround you mentioned.

mmcguire
New Contributor

Thanks, Nicholaus. If we bypass the restore process and sign into iCloud only after getting to the Home screen, though, wouldn't that require the user to manually re-install all their apps manually and manually re-organize the apps into their folders?

Nicholaus
Contributor

Yes, they would need to download apps again if not doing a restore. All of their pictures, documents, etc... that are in iCloud will be available though.

scottlep
Contributor II

Quick Start is not compatible with ADE/DEP. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210216

"If your new device is enrolled in Apple School Manager or Apple Business Manager, you can't use Quick Start to transfer data from your current device."