"About this Mac" - "Storage" tab in Self Service

Hermenegildah
New Contributor II

I have created a SelfService policy that executes open -a "About This mac.app" in Self Service. We would like to have the app open directly into the "Storage" tab, so that users can identify/delete largest space hogs (Clicking on "Manage..." does that). Our managers like the colorfulness of that window, otherwise we'd launch "Storage Management"). Is there a way to get that tab open directly when the user clicks on the icon in Self Service?

This is what we currently have. 

Hermenegildah_0-1648047320021.png

Thanks,

E

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I don't believe there's a way to click on that exact tab. It's possible Applescript could do it, but getting GUI scripting to work right can be a little difficult.

You could open the System Information.app and then open the Storage Management window (same as clicking the Manage... button in the About this Mac > Storage tab)

Something like this for example, but it would have to be run in the user context to work I'm guessing, if being called in a Jamf policy.

tell application "System Information"
	activate
	tell application "System Events"
		keystroke "u" using command down
	end tell
end tell

This won't bring you to the colored bar in the About window of course, so I don't know if it meets your needs.

vinu_thankachan
Contributor

try 

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 6.21.56 PM.png

Hermenegildah
New Contributor II

Thanks, but it still opens in the "Overview" tab. I was trying to find out if it can be open directly from the "Storage" one. 

Try using @vinu_thankachan command from "About This Mac" to "Storage Management"?