"Other..." user account showing up on Login Window

rosskivowitz
New Contributor

We've had an interesting issue pop up in the last few weeks where if a device has been Recon'd or if it has had the QuickAdd.pkg installed on it and then you have the other method run on it again (if Recon'd, then QuickAdd.pkg or if QuickAdd.pkg, then Recon'd), we're seeing the Other... user option on the Login Window.

This is weird for a few reasons...

• We're not bound to any directory server.
  • In System Preferences > Users & Groups, the option for Display login window as: List of Users is selected.
  • There are no profiles in scope for these computers (it's happening on multiple computers).
  • If I run a command line to hide the other user, it hides without any issues; indicating that there is nothing really forcing the Other... user account to show up.
  • If I deploy a Configuration Profile that contains the Login Window payload and have the option to Show "Other..." unchecked, the Other... option disappears from the Login Window.

Any thoughts on why this would be occurring? I was under the impression that Recon'ing a computer and deploying QuickAdd.pkg yielded the same result. They both installed the binary and the MDM Profile. To make things even more weird, if I install QuickAdd.pkg on a computer and then re-install the QuickAdd.pkg on the same computer, I don't have this issue. Likewise, if I Recon a computer and then re-Recon the computer, I don't have this issue. The only way we're seeing this issue is if we Recon a machine and then install QuickAdd.pkg on it or vice versa.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Thanks in advance for any help!

7 REPLIES 7

rickwhois
Contributor

If your management account is hidden this would explain it. This would also occur if the root account is enabled.

rickwhois
Contributor

If your management account is hidden this would explain it. This would also occur if the root account is enabled.

rosskivowitz
New Contributor

@rickwhois Our root account is disabled but the management account is hidden in our QuickAdd. But if I just install the QuickAdd, it doesn't happen.

rickwhois
Contributor

@rosskivowitz The management account can be configured when created in Recon, and also under User-Initiated Enrollment.

rosskivowitz
New Contributor

@rickwhois Both the QuickAdd.pkg and the UIE settings are set for hidden management accounts. If we enroll a machine via QuickAdd or mycompanyname.jamfcloud.com/enroll, we don't have any issues and the Other... user option doesn't appear in the Login Window. Nor does it appear if we use Network Scanner in Recon.

But if we use Network Scanner AND one of the other options, it appears. Something still doesn't add up...

rickwhois
Contributor

to my knowledge you would want to always "other" so that you can login using your hidden mgt account or if your bound to AD so that you can login to another users act. I'd double check the mycompanyname.jamfcloud.com/enrollment.html under macOS make sure that hidden box is checked. Also recreate the QuickAdd using recon so that the mgt act is also hidden. That way all your enrollment avenues are the same. I hope that is helpful to ya

Darb
New Contributor II

Very old, but for anyone encountering this (I just did): I expected that by selecting "Hide management account" in User-Initiated Enrollment, that no additional local accounts would be visible on our devices. However this "Other" option described here appeared on two test devices.

I was able to hide it with a Configuration Profile with the Login Window payload, and "Show 'Other...'" unchecked from its options.