Re-enrollment using User initiated enrollment

rcoleman
New Contributor III

Hi folks,

I'm currently creating a new process for user initiated enrollments using DEPNotify. For testing, I'm removing all local device jamf components and running API scripts to unmanage/ un-enroll the device and de-selecting the "Allow Jamf Pro to perform management tasks", but keeping the JSS record intact. Then performing changes to the build script / procedure and re-enrolling again for testing purposes.

However, what I've found is that if I don't delete the JSS record for the device, although the the device successfully appears to re-enroll, the actual script that is supposed to run and start DEPNotify on the Enrollment complete trigger does not startup. It's as if it performs a "silent" re-enroll. I'd like the build process to be consistent regardless if it's a new enrollment or a re-enroll. We may have instances where devices have their management disabled in the JSS and need to be re-enrolled, and if it's end users performing the enrollment then it would be helpful to have on-screen feedback to show progress.

If I delete the JSS record before enrolling the device, the setup process works as expected, starting DEPNotify and other setup policies.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but does anyone know why this would be happening? I'd like to keep the process consistent.

Many thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ismere
Contributor

Hi rcoleman,
just a quick Question here, how did you configured your re-enrollment settings under Global --> Re-enrollment. And did you already checked the log for the Policy that is calling the Script. Because if it is set to Run only Once per Computer and you do not clear any Histories it will not run again until you ether flush the corresponding Log entry or delete the Object which will remove the entry in every Policy History in JAMF. But if you want to keep the entry you have to at least clear the Policy Logs on Re-Enrollment.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ismere
Contributor

Hi rcoleman,
just a quick Question here, how did you configured your re-enrollment settings under Global --> Re-enrollment. And did you already checked the log for the Policy that is calling the Script. Because if it is set to Run only Once per Computer and you do not clear any Histories it will not run again until you ether flush the corresponding Log entry or delete the Object which will remove the entry in every Policy History in JAMF. But if you want to keep the entry you have to at least clear the Policy Logs on Re-Enrollment.

rcoleman
New Contributor III

Doh! Can't believe I missed that. The policy was of course only set to "Once per computer". As soon as I changed it, it was fine. I'll now go away into a corner and cower in embarrassment... 😄

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.