Remote Wipe computer - Stuck in a password loop

AndrewWilliamso
New Contributor III

I'm testing out the Remote Wipe command for a computer ahead of needing to wipe a handful of remote devices in the near future.

I've triggered the command on a test device I have at hand; I enabled 'Remove Activation Lock' as the device is actviation lock enabled, and I set a wipe passcode of 123456. The test Macbook almost instantly shut down and device logs in Jamf show that the command was successfully deployed.

However the device is now stuck in a loop of prompting me to enter a user account password in order to unlock the hard drive (filevault is enabled). When i enter the user password the device shuts down, boots back up after a moment, then I'm re-prompted to enter a user password. I've gone through this loop a dozen times now.
When I enter an incorrect password, or the wipe passcode, the pop-up doesn't accept the password. 

I can still boot the device into recovery mode and wipe the device via Disk Utility, but this is not the ideal solution for my situation.

This does not seem to be the typical behaviour to be expected for this action. Has anyone experienced similar? 

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1

AndrewWilliamso
New Contributor III

Revisiting this after leaving it aside for a couple of weeks

I manually wiped the device via Recovery Mode/Disk Utility, and re-enrolled the device via DEP, and Activation Lock is re-enabled. Now on attempting a remote-wipe, I am met with the following error

AndrewWilliamso_0-1688733305037.png

Activation lock is definitely enabled for this device

AndrewWilliamso_1-1688733353563.png

and the device is actively checking in with the Jamf server

the Remote Wipe command does not seem to be very reliable or consistent which is troublesome given it is a last-line defence against data loss if the device is stolen or lost