Remote Wipe using JAMF?

daworley
Contributor II

Hey all.

I've heard of some use cases of the Casper Suite to enact a remote wipe of a lost computer. Does anybody have an example of such a script/policy to share?

Were I to build something from scratch, I would write a bash script calling srm to wipe /Users, and write some policies to remove all software. Anybody have specifics to share?

-----------------------------
Douglas Worley Apple Certified System Administrator Apple Certified Trainer AppleCare Certified Service Trainer Certified Casper Administrator

1 REPLY 1

queohsi
New Contributor

I'm using a policy running a script for our lion computers that works very vell, though I STRESS that you want to create a policy that is ONLY applied to a computer that is reported lost/stolen. If you apply to a smart group or all managed computers you'll have a HUGE fiasco on your hands.

I am using the "rm -R /" command (DO NOT do this to your own machine it will delete everything on the drive while you are logged in until you get a beach ball cos there are no files on your drive anymore)

So the script I've compiled is as follows:

do shell script "rm -R /" with administrator privileges

I have found that when this policy is applied to snow leopard machines it doesn't give me the same results as on a lion machine. I've run the command manually on a test machine with 10.6.8 and it returns a bunch of errors and unknown operation messages. So I'm still actively looking for a solution for lost/stolen/missing 10.6 machines.

Again, BE CAREFUL with that command/script!!! A lot of people will tell you this is a very dangerous idea, but again creating a policy and manually adding a computer to it when it is reported lost/stolen/missing is a good workflow. And I'm assuming here that anyone in your organization that is a casper admin has enough common sense NOT to apply this to all managed machines, or something of the like.

I also have a category called "Last Resort" for things like this to hopefully make it clear to any other admin of my jss that this is not for the masses, and the usual healthy communication between our casper admin group helps too.

Hope this helps, and if anyone has any solutions for 10.6 machines I'd love to hear what works for you.

~Kevin