Remove my laptop from Device Enrollment Program prompt

amolsarva
New Contributor II

I bought a used Macbook and have updated it to the latest Mavericks. From when I first powered it on I have been getting prompts to enroll the device. I can't get them to go away...only cancel them and they reappear dozens of times per day.

I guess the folks who sold the machine have it in their DEP server? Or there is an agent that keeps checking?

How can I disable the agent that keeps prompting me to join?

Could not figure out after 30 minutes searching JAMF and other sites discussions of the various woes of school IT admins. :(

adb9ef6145564b2883745018bc339934
7fbdce94235544bf9946a75d334f9dd2

61 REPLIES 61

Snabi
New Contributor

Greetings to every one! I bought one MBP 2019 from craigslist and was running very smoothly. I did not encounter any pop ups. My issue happens when i updated catalina. I am attaching some photos. I cannot get past the last sign in stage. Please help. 2d5d7c1151cf431ab9fb0fdfa3369e18

4b55edec53364544b15eb22a92fd3638

25259d94e6ff40eaa9ffb0bf2c74b79a

I bought a 2015 MBP in 2018 from an ebay seller located in Seattle. Just did an erase and install and i'm getting these exact same popup messages! I called the number and amazon basically told me it's stolen and won't release it from MDM. Ebay seller is no where to be found. Ugh. 

patgmac
Contributor III

@Snabi You bought a stolen computer. Ask for a refund.

MLBZ521
Contributor III

@LAJAAMS2020 The instructions that CasperAdminNet referred to are not a "fix", just a work around. As well, they will no longer work moving forward in Big Sur and laster and the profiles command will not be able to perform the actions that they can today. In addition, the profiles command can only remove Profiles that are marked as removable -- however, most Automated Enrollment Profiles are not marked as removable (and cannot be on newer versions of macOS and iOS).

I would highly recommend reviewing my post in this thread for full details on the situation you're in, how things work, options available to you, etc.

@Snabi As Pat mentioned, that device was very likely stolen.

swapple
Contributor III

I saw a case where the device was misdelivered by FedEx and not discovered for weeks while it sat on the inventory shelf. FedEx replaced the device to the company they should have delivered the package.

PW7
New Contributor

I HAVE removed / unassigned my devices from our DEP system - and our users are STILL getting that pop-up with no way to remove it. I inherited the DEP system from an employee who is no longer at our organization. After a long, arduous process with Apple, I was able to get / reset the Apple ID associated with our account and unassigned all devices from our DEP - and our users are STILL getting the pop-up. Help! How do I remove the pop-up? I do not want to have to totally wipe the laptops and re-install in order for it to go away. Any thoughts / suggestions would be very, very appreciated! Thanks!

MLBZ521
Contributor III
and unassigned all devices from our DEP

@PW7 I hope these devices are not still institutionally owned. If so, you've just crippled yourself when it comes to device management.

If you review my post above, I go into great detail on this. But, in short:

A device checks Apple's activation servers and caches whether it has a Device Enrollment configuration record. Once the device caches that information, it's cached locally on the internal disk. The device will always prompt with the ADE Nag notification (it does not check to see if it no longer has a Device Enrollment configuration record). The only way to resolve this is to delete the cached information. (Again this is all described in my earlier post with resolution instructions.)

Acovid
New Contributor

@MLBZ521 can you please advise where exactly you entered this command:

rm /Volumes/Macintosh HD/var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/Settings/.cloudConfig*

I tried in the Recovery disk -> Utilities -> Terminal, however got back the "File not found..." message. I also tried without the "" sign and then again with replacing the "" with "/", same result. When I run the "ls" command in the same place, I don't see the Volumes directory. I am on MacOS Catalina.

MLBZ521
Contributor III

@Acovid It is entered in to Terminal from within Recovery. I've only ever used it on Catalina to be honest, so I know it should work on that.

The spaces and forward/back slash are important. You can try to start typing the words and then pressing the TAB key to autocomplete the text. That has helped several end users get it typed correctly that are remote.

Are you saying, that executing ls /Volumes does not return any mounted volumes? Ensure that your disk is unlocked and mounted (see Disk Utility).

emyj18
New Contributor

@MLBZ521 Thank you for in-depth post above, very helpful!

I won't go into my boring/long story but essentially I have a 3rd/4th-hand 2018 macbook pro (off of a third party seller) which has the 'Allow Device Enrolment?' pop up coming up and am currently unable to get hold of the original owner or FB (obviously).

The bit in your post where you say "For those that have legit purchases... Seeing this message/notification does not mean the device is enrolled and no, the organization cannot access your files/device."

From this pop up, would you agree that my device isn't actually enrolled with FB? I.e. am I at any risk of them being in a position to control/wipe my device? Or are there any long term implications/downsides of being in my current set-up? So far all I have noticed is the lack of access to 'Profiles' in system settings

If so then fine - the pop ups don't bother me too much and I can always try to follow your advice in removing them. I just obviously don't want to be in a position where I'm at risk of that happening.

Thanks so much for any insight you can offer and anyone else!
5b54442cc6024b5f92cd3b3ac245d6bc

patgmac
Contributor III

@emyj18 It's not enrolled until you click "allow" and the MDM profile installs. So no, they can't control or wipe.

MikeF
Contributor II

While the correct fix it to get removed from DEP another thing you can do and this is only on the first boot after imaging. This is where DEP starts the process. You can bypass all the prompts by setting the mac up off network. This stops it from being able to check with apple and get directed to a MDM server.

As DEP is designed to run the first boot if there is a network it will keep looking for the MDM server as Apple told it to. However off network you will bypass this. After setup completes DEP will not run again. This will skip DEP setup. It will come back next time you get imaged.

MLBZ521
Contributor III

What Pat said above.

@MikeF That's not completely true. A device can check-in to Apple's activation servers after device setup. We've had plenty of our devices do that because an end user went and purchased something themselves, didn't involve IT, set it up off network and then later get prompted to enroll. Then we get questions from their IT support going "How do we make this go away?" Answer: "Enroll it, that's how." :)

user-dDBkwvMAtp
New Contributor

Hello all,

Thank you for all the information everyone shared. I purchased a 2017 MBP when I was in US and got this MDM pop-up for the last 3 years. Found some code on web to run in recovery to prevent pop-ups just like someone suggested above.

But with the macOS 11 Big Sur, I can't see updates. For ex; I'm on 11.3.1 now and don't see 11.4 in Software Update. I suppose this happens because Apple changed the way MDM devices handle updates. So Amazon handles when my Mac get macOS updates. Up until now I had to download the whole macOS setup from App Store (12 GB or so everytime!) even for minor updates.

So my question is; when I contact Amazon.com and ask them to remove this from DEP, if this is a stolen device and they figure it out (REALLY REALLY HOPE I DIDN'T GIVE HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS FOR A STOLEN DEVICE!!) will they be able to lock, wipe or do something to my Mac although it's not enrolled? I couldn't take this chance until now because there is no way I can afford to lose this Mac or buy another one anytime soon. If someone can tell me what can happen when I contact them, I'd really appreciate it. This was a big lesson to me to not to buy used electronic devices outside of my home country.

patgmac
Contributor III

This was purchased through Amazon, or it’s in Amazon’s DEP account?

If it was purchased through Amazon, but via a third party seller, Amazon is not going to be able to remove it from DEP. It’s probably stolen in this case. Only the company that is on the enrollment can remove it. You should have returned it as soon as you saw the problem.

If it’s actually in Amazon’s DEP account, you’re going to have to try getting ahold of someone in their IT Dept, but it’s probably still stolen so they might not release it.

it's in Amazon's DEP account. My question is, in the DEP management console, is there an option to remotely lock or wipe the device? If not,  I'll contact them and take my chances. Maybe they just forgot to remove this Mac from DEP system and it's not stolen. BUT IF they can lock or wipe it from the DEP console, I don't think I can afford to take this chance. Maybe in the future, when I buy a new Mac.

I have the same issue. Called Amazons IT dept and they told me it was stolen because they never get rid of or sell devices, which I find hard to believe. So basically i'm skunked. 

Ranjitranapal
New Contributor

I am faceing same problem to remove Device enrollment from my MacBook device plz help me to remove it guys just gave me correct information to remove it ranjitranapal42@gmail.com

@Ranjitranapal This is not something anyone can do except the company that owns the device.  Please read the thread as I've described what's going on in-depth.

Askingquestion
New Contributor

Just want to pop in here to see if anyone has insight. I’ve had my MacBook for 2 years I got from a swappa.com It was added cleanly to my iCloud account and apple sold me applecare+ for it. Last nov they replaced the logic board and factory fresh when I got it. I’m trying to wipe it to trade it in and I get this remote management thing from AVC auctions. I can log in and remove the profile but it’s weird after 2 years and many updates and at least 2 full reinstalls it’s never had this pop up before. Any ideas what happened? 

@Askingquestion It's possible the "owner" of the ABM/ASM account recently assigned the Serial Number so that it would enroll into their MDM.

You're able to remove the MDM Profile from the device after it's enrolled?  That's both surprising and shouldn't be possible -- unless it's still running an older OS Version and the MDM owner configured their MDM Profile's to be removable, which is also very surprising.

I would ensure that the serial number that is programmed into the device matches the serial number that is physically written on the device.  You can check the serial number programmed into the board via running the following command in Terminal:

/usr/sbin/ioreg -c IOPlatformExpertDevice -d 2 | /usr/bin/awk -F\" '/IOPlatformSerialNumber/{print $(NF-1)}'

That should spit out the exact serial number and you can verify that it matches the physical serial number.

We have two devices in our environment that have the same serial number programmed on the devices, so it is possible that the wrong serial number was programmed on the replacement board.

Sometimes the /etc/hosts file is used to block communication with Apple's mdm/dep servers ,  and that can persist through updates and maybe a re-installation if the drive isn't erased.