Remove World Write Permissions

user-mjdVqgUxnj
New Contributor

Hello all,

This is my first post to the JAMF forum, so excuse me if I am posting to the wrong location. I am a new JAMF administrator at my organization, and I am currently working through some security updates. I have been tasked to "remove world write permissions" for the machines in our fleet.

Would anyone be able to provide some insight into what exactly that means from an enterprise standpoint, and how I could remediate this in JAMF? I have checked out a few articles on what "removing world write permissions" means on Linux systems, but I am still a bit unclear on what it means in layman's terms, and how I can block/reconfigure with a JAMF policy.

I would be glad to provide further information if necessary.

1 REPLY 1

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

This is probably coming from the CIS Benchmark guide. At least in the 10.15 version they are listed under controls 5.1.2 - 5.1.4. If you sign up on the CIS site, you can get free access to the official CIS guide, which I highly recommend, if you don’t already have it. I’ve found that internal security and audit groups often just reference recommendations straight from the guide without any context of how they should be achieved. Having access to the guide provides you with a lot more information on the control and the how and why.

Even with that, you’ll need to come up with a way to report on this yourself in Jamf Pro. I’m using a list of Extension Attributes to report on these and many other items myself.