Removing Pulse Secure and Junos Pulse VPN Silently

jwstyles
New Contributor II

We were using Pulse Secure (and its older version, Junos Pulse) VPN software in our environment but have since upgraded. In looking for a way to remove the old clients we ran across their uninstallers. Running those prompted the users to save the old settings and notified them when the uninstall was complete... We didn't want this! Found a way to make it silent!

If you dig into the uninstaller app, you can see that it's just calling a simple shell script that allows for arguments for ignoring all prompts and not saving the old config.

I'm posting those one liner scripts here for anyone else who might be looking to do the same!

Pulse Secure:

!/bin/sh

sudo sh /Library/Application Support/Pulse Secure/Pulse/Uninstall.app/Contents/resources/uninstall.sh 0

Junos Pulse:

!/bin/sh

sudo /library/Application Support/Juniper Networks/Junos Pulse/uninstall.app/contents/resources/Uninstall.sh 0

Now just build the Jamf policy to call these scripts and update maintenance. Set it to recurring check in and point it at your smart groups for those applications and you're golden!

3 REPLIES 3

chris_hansen
Contributor

Thanks!
We're switching to GlobalProtect and I have to get rid of PS.

Minor tweaks, if sending this from Jamf, it'll run as root already, and you don't need the sudo in that case.
And since you're declaring sh in your shebang line, you can drop the sh.
I staged it like this.

#!/bin/sh
/Library/Application Support/Pulse Secure/Pulse/Uninstall.app/Contents/resources/uninstall.sh 0

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

Don't forget that the Pulse uninstall script doesn't remove everything.... I don't remember everything but there were a few things left that were worth removing. That was with the 5.x track I have tested with 9.X

C

jamf_atpco
New Contributor

I am attempting to remove Pulse Secure 9.1 from Monterey 12.5.  Looking for a script to push via JAMF