Rename Macintosh HD

bmweeks
New Contributor

OK, our school recently bought 1850 macbook airs. We had a company image them I was told by the company that because their imaging software would conflict if my os partition was named Macintosh HD I had to rename my os partition to something else, so i renamed to MacintoshHD (no space) everything got imaged and we are fine until i went to re-image in casper because, my image in casper has a space it cant find the HD. my question is there any way to script the renaming of the HD, i have tried diskutil rename / Macintosh HD and it says The new name is subject to file system-specific naming restrictions. Ownership of the specified volume may be required. Please Help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nessts
Valued Contributor II

first off
diskutil rename Macintosh HD
the is important, which is why I hate spaces in disk names and file names, but what does that have to do with Casper not working?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

nessts
Valued Contributor II

first off
diskutil rename Macintosh HD
the is important, which is why I hate spaces in disk names and file names, but what does that have to do with Casper not working?

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

Did you try renaming in the autorun configuration?

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Sounds like their imaging software is shite if it can't handle a space.

bmweeks
New Contributor

Ya it was deploy studio

tobiaslinder
Contributor II
Contributor II

Not the imaging software is shite but the company that imaged the machines.

I have aprox 17'000 client-machines up and running at 80 locations. All the system volumes are called "Macintosh HD" and all the machines were imaged with Deploy Studio.

gregdeichler
New Contributor II

I wonder why they told you that. DeployStudio had allowed us to have spaces in our Volume names for as long as I can remember. Certainly in 2012.