Reporting on Computrace version

benducklow
Contributor III

Does anyone have any experience reporting on what version of Computrace a machine has? Its an elusive "application" but I want to be able to report on it. Is there some code maybe in an Extension Attribute that could be used?

Thanks in advance for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

benducklow
Contributor III

Well, I ended up going a slightly different route. Seeing I wasn't able to get the version # directly I am opting for a MD5 checksum hash as an Extension Attribute for validation. If the version changes, so should the checksum value. Not ideal, but it what I came up with. I will submit as an EA to JAMF in case others want it:

#!/bin/sh
echo "<result>`md5 -q /usr/sbin/rpc.net`</result>"

-Ben

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

asegura
Contributor

I have a smart group that tells me if its installed or not. I would imagine there is a PLIST that you can read the current version.

Running Service Does Not Have com.absolute.rpcnet

NoahRJ
Contributor II

I have no experience with Computrace specifically, but most contents of application packages have an Info.plist file that contains version information. You could isolate the exact version with something like the script I wrote below (making the assumption that Computrace lives in /Applications and is named Computrace.app), and then get an Extension Attribute created from that:

cat /Applications/Computrace.app/Contents/Info.plist | grep -A 1 CFBundleShortVersionString | grep string | sed 's/>/ /g' | sed 's/</ /g' | awk '{print $2}'

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

Here's the files that it installs. Maybe grab it from one of them??

external image link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1n52nf7z9c55wtv/Computrace.png?dl=0

ericjboyd
Contributor

Sean Gallagher wrote an extension attribute that records the last checkin time and date. If it is checking in regularly then it should be the current version...

benducklow
Contributor III

Thanks for the info all. I am specifically looking for the version info as I will need to report on which machines have which version of Computrace. There is no .app file either...

@ooshnoo - It looks like the rpc.net file located in /usr/sbin/ holds the version info. I was told by my coworker that if you install the command line developer tools and using the 'strings' command against the rpc.net file, you can obtain that info, however this is something that is not on all systems.

strings /usr/sbin/rpc.net | grep -i build

Any gurus out there that may have some other command line type lookup via an EA that could be done?

-Ben

benducklow
Contributor III

Well, I ended up going a slightly different route. Seeing I wasn't able to get the version # directly I am opting for a MD5 checksum hash as an Extension Attribute for validation. If the version changes, so should the checksum value. Not ideal, but it what I came up with. I will submit as an EA to JAMF in case others want it:

#!/bin/sh
echo "<result>`md5 -q /usr/sbin/rpc.net`</result>"

-Ben

bjones
New Contributor III

Recently i noticed that my smart group pulling out systems running the service com.absolute.rpcnet was working for a while when scoping for computrace deployment. As of late i cannot find that service running on new installations of computrace on systems but i see the process rpc.net running and the machine is checking into the console. has anyone found a way to identify that that is installed and running ? Also i cant get any response from the extension attribute for system calling in.

Can anyone out there help with this one?

farverk
New Contributor III

Currently seeing the same issue @bjones is seeing. Reporting on the running service "com.absolute.rpcnet" isn't workingproperly as some machines do not have that service running but are showing in the Computrace console. I might have to reach out to Absolute for assistance unless someone here has a better idea?