Require Password Immediately Not Working on Guest User

Morningside
Contributor II

I have a simple configuration policy applied to my student computers which will require a password immediately upon sleep. However, 90% of the computing done in this school is done on two different websites so I have Guest User configured to access those two sites (and only those two) for the convenience of the students. However, I have noticed that this configuration policy does not seem to be triggering when the Guest User is the current logged on account. Any ideas here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sshort
Valued Contributor

If you're using the built-in Guest User feature, this behavior makes sense. There's no account password for the guest user, so there's no password to enforce that setting. If you did work out a way for the password prompt to appear, I'm guessing it would look like a standard user access prompt where the account name field is left blank (requiring an admin to enter their credentials).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sshort
Valued Contributor

If you're using the built-in Guest User feature, this behavior makes sense. There's no account password for the guest user, so there's no password to enforce that setting. If you did work out a way for the password prompt to appear, I'm guessing it would look like a standard user access prompt where the account name field is left blank (requiring an admin to enter their credentials).

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

Guest, by default, has no password. One way you could get around this is to have an Auto-Login regular account that would require a password to get out of screensaver. You wouldn't need a password to login, just get out of screensaver.

Morningside
Contributor II

You know you're right. I wasn't thinking clearly on this. What I need is for the mac to log out upon sleep, not require password. Unfortunately, the "Logout after x inactivity" doesn't work for the Guest User. Instead you just end up with a prompt. Is there a script for forcing logout upon sleep?