Require Password [X Minutes} after sleep or screen saver begins greyed out

Jon_Munford
New Contributor

A few days ago a bunch of my staff Macbooks that are OSX 10.10.5 now have the "Require Password [X Minutes} after sleep or screen saver begins" setting greyed out. When unlocked it stays grey and states that the preference is being managed by the administrator.

The problem is that I don't have the preference managed at all. I have checked every Config Profile and there are no MCX's at all.

Does anyone have a clue where I can look? Did an item maybe get removed from a plist somewhere?

Thanks for any help.

-Jon

6 REPLIES 6

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Config Profile -> Security and Privacy payload
Uncheck "Require password X minutes after sleep or screen saver begins"

JZing
New Contributor III

I am seeing the same behavior, even when I set the Security and Privacy payload to have the setting unchecked. We usually set 5 minutes as policy and many of my teachers have sought my help to change that.
Suddenly, in the last 3 weeks or so, the setting is greyed out (stuck at selected at 5 minutes).
New images have been showing this behavior well as old images. All are on 10.10.4 or 10.10.5.

If I remove the policy completely and log in as a managed user from AD, it behaves as expected, the setting is not greyed out.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I wonder if this is related to another issue that's been reported here regarding that option not working if set to "immediately". We're on 9.81 and seeing this issue and we have it checked. Might be happening in other versions as well. Certainly seems others on 9.82 have reported it so it should be there too. As a quick test, if you change "immediately" to anything else and then uncheck, does this still happen?

murph
New Contributor III

@Jon.Munford Do you have a login window profile? If so, try excluding the device from it and see if it is then changeable.

Jon_Munford
New Contributor

I do have a login window profile. I am going to get a machine today from a staff member and remove profiles one at a time to see what is causing it. It's a very strange issue. I don't have any settings that would be actively managing it, so it has to be a side effect of something else. I have tried deleting plists relating to screen saver and security settings with no luck either. I did try pushing a blank payload that does or specifically doesn't manage the setting with no luck either

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

@Jon.Munford

There are hidden setting in the login window profile.. it's a know issue. Do a search for D-010036...not sure it the same issue..

C