require regular "local" network login

andersonpaul200
New Contributor

We are looking for a way to either disable a computer or notify us when a computer has not logged into the local network for a set period of time or at least keep a log of where (IP address) where the computer has logged in from. Something that would force employees to bring their computer into work on a regular basis. Has anyone else ever done anything like this? A script file or something?

3 REPLIES 3

jared_f
Valued Contributor

I would use a smart computer group with the following criteria. Assuming all your employee laptops sit on a subnet, make the criteria for check-in or inventory update (I have it at every 30 minutes) more than "X" number of days. You can then narrow it down even more if you use departments, buildings, etc. Then turn on email notifications for that group.

7a56f8e35c97486d869df2f19ec11e2a

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

This will backfire on you. I would not try to fix human/social problems with technology. There are so many caveats to this, and you'll end up probably breaking a computer that is on network. Like what happens when a user at home has the same private IP schema as you do?

I would recommend you have management/HR deal with this one. Just my 2 cents.

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

Agree with @tlarkin .. you will get frustrated and there will be pain. If anything you could start with forescout or another nac product.