Restricted Software Question

cchurchill
New Contributor

I added users to a user group that had software restrictions, when I remove a user from that group the software restriction doesn't lift. What needs to happen to remove the software restrictions?

This group is a fluid group that changes based on students who need restrictions applied. So there will be in and outs regularly.

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Restricted Software settings get applied or removed when the management framework is pulled down to the Mac.
Although that's supposed to happen automatically to my knowledge, you might need to 'kick it in' by running a sudo jamf manage command on the affected Macs. As long as they are in range to connect to your JSS, that should force them to check against the server to see what management settings need to be on them, including Restricted Software items. Any that aren't in scope anymore should get removed.

Worst case scenario is you might need to blow away the blacklist file (hidden by default) and then run another sudo jamf manage, which should pull down a fresh xml file from the server.

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

The management framework should apply during the computer's check-in with the JSS depending how often you have it set.

To find out your time, click the gear icon in JSS, click Computer Management on the left menu, then under "Computer Management - Management Framework" click "Check-in". You'll see the time listed under "Check-in Frequency".

Keep that in mind first, then you can see if the computer needs the blacklist file manually deleted like @mm2270 said. If so, ask JAMF why it needs to be manually cleared. :-)