Retrieving OS Delays

A_Collins
New Contributor III

Hi all,

Is anyone know if we can retrieve the "enforcedSoftwareUpdateMinorOSDeferredInstallDelay" from the com.apple.applicationaccess? 

Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 4.26.40 pm.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@A_Collins This is not true. The com.apple.applicationaccess.plist file that gets created in /Library/Managed\ Preferences from a Configuration Profile is a completely flat plist that's super easy to read back. Take a look at it on a managed macOS device that has at least one setting from a profile that uses that domain, and you'll see what I mean.

I know this because I have several Extension Attributes that read from that file. The structure of it is flat and not complicated to read with defaults at all.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Farley258
New Contributor

I'm not sure if it's possible to retrieve the "enforcedSoftwareUpdateMinorOSDeferredInstallDelay" setting from the "com.apple.applicationaccess" domain. It's best to consult the documentation of the specific operating system or programming language being used, or seek assistance from a technical expert.

paybyplatema

Thanks,

mm2270

Can you explain a little more what you're looking for? Are you trying to grab the value contained in the deployed configuration profile?

If so, all config profiles create or add to some plist file in /Library/Managed\ Preferences on the Mac. So I would look in there for the com.apple.applicationaccess.plist for the info. These are standard plist files that can usually be read easily with /usr/bin/defaults, though some of them may be too complicated for that and will need to be read with something else, like PlistBudddy.

A_Collins
New Contributor III

Thanks for the responses. The reason I want to retrieve that data is to activate nudge launchagent referencing the value there. For instance, I want to delay major OS release with 60 days and I dont want nudge launchagent to ask user to update during period. @mm2270 unfortunately com.applicationaccess is not like any other regular plist files that you can write or get simply by defaults as far as I know. 

mm2270

@A_Collins This is not true. The com.apple.applicationaccess.plist file that gets created in /Library/Managed\ Preferences from a Configuration Profile is a completely flat plist that's super easy to read back. Take a look at it on a managed macOS device that has at least one setting from a profile that uses that domain, and you'll see what I mean.

I know this because I have several Extension Attributes that read from that file. The structure of it is flat and not complicated to read with defaults at all.

A_Collins
New Contributor III

Thanks, yea I dont know how I wouldn't find it.