Say Command

IT-Chris
New Contributor III

Does anyone use the say command when doing policies?
Looks like its now broken with big sur and freshly DEP machines.

Jamf support was able to reproduce the issue, but wont report it to apple. apple tells me to report it to Jamf..

Anyone have any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

I use it in a script to set up the Macs straight after enrolment. Only up to Catalina so far and it is happy working there. I put the lines in because I wanted to know what stage the script was at, as it is running before there is a user logged in. Big Sur testing is starting later this week for me, so I guess I will find out if it still works for me.

IT-Chris
New Contributor III

Thanks for that update. Paul let me know if you have the same issue.
I have escalated this issue with Jamf, But they seem not to care. If you have the same issue please let them know so they can see this is something that we were able to do, but not able to do now.

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

@pranzinic Ran a test today. The script that I run at Enrolment failed to use the Say commands. But when I sent a Say from Apple Remote Desktop it worked.

robjschroeder
Contributor

Before I started using DEPNotify, I was using the Say command at the end of our initial script letting the user know that their machine was ready to use. I also have this handy script in our repository for whenever needed and pass the variables in:

Volume="$4"
Word="$5"

osascript -e "Set Volume $Volume"
say $Word
osascript -e "Set Volume 0"