Scheduled Tasks & Network Traffic

costes
New Contributor II

This may be a networking question, but I wanted to ask around and see if we can eliminate some other variables. In our environment (K-8 edu, ~700 Macs and ~800 iOS devices) we've noticed our incoming traffic throughput gets maxed out. This will happen around midnight and noon for about an hour window (ex: 11:30ish am/pm to 12:30ish am/pm)

I'm curious as to what services I can eliminate/factor-in with JSS, Mac, and iOS devices, that could be contributing to this traffic.

Ones I've considered:
-Mac App Store Auto-Update: usually disabled for all computers, and a policy is in place to disable it
-Mobile Device Apps: In the JSS 'Automatically update app' is enabled, is there a specific time they check?
-Mobile Device Apps: In the JSS 'iTunes Sync Time' is defaulting at midnight

What other factors am I not thinking about? Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

bburdeaux
Contributor II

There is a specific time that the JSS checks for app updates. The default is midnight, and can be set in the App Updates section of the Mobile Device settings.

Are you using a caching server(s)? If not, it is something very worth looking into, as they will cut down the network traffic significantly, particularly from iOS and MacOS apps. If you are using a caching server, what proportion of your iOS devices are running iOS 10+? There is currently an issue with iOS 10-10.1.1 that causes devices to bypass caching server and hit the internet for all of their downloads. This issue is slated to be fixed in the next iOS update.

millersc
Valued Contributor

Absolutely get a MacMini setup as a Caching server. We are 5K Mac and 3K iOS and I have proven over and over the reduction of bandwidth to management for a $500 mini that was questioned. 1 time expense vs unknown bandwidth costs. Simple math imho.