Screen Share not working on Remote Computers

bruth85
New Contributor III

We have screen share setup and it works flawlessly if the computers are on our internal network but I can't seem to get it to work at all if they are remote (i.e. working from home) I can see the systems on Jamf Remote and confirmed the IP's are correct but after it says Creating SSH connection to their address and then again to another IP address the status section just goes blank and nothing ever happens. Am I missing something for the remote users? We have both Remote Login and Remote Management turned on for All Users. The last user I tried with was even on our VPN and still nothing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bruth85
New Contributor III

@txhaflaire Just wanted to update you on what I found. I had a ticket open on another issue and decided to ask the tech about this issue as well and he informed me that there is a restriction with Jamf Remote and systems that are not on either the same segment or network. For users who are working remotely if Jamf Remote doesn't work you need to have the user do an ifconfig and then on your Mac open the screen share local client and type in their IP address. Once you do that you should be able to remote the user.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@bruth85 Are the clients behind Jamf Pro Cloud or or on-prem? And can you ping the devices on hostname/ip? also curious if you are trying with Jamf Remote or Finder calling out a VNC connection.

Cheers,
Thijs - bol.com

bruth85
New Contributor III

@txhaflaire Clients are behind Jamf Cloud. I haven't tried the Ping, how would you do that through either the jamf pro suite tools (Jamf Remote, Jamf Admin, etc) or JSS? I am trying with Jamf Remote.

bruth85
New Contributor III

@txhaflaire Just wanted to update you on what I found. I had a ticket open on another issue and decided to ask the tech about this issue as well and he informed me that there is a restriction with Jamf Remote and systems that are not on either the same segment or network. For users who are working remotely if Jamf Remote doesn't work you need to have the user do an ifconfig and then on your Mac open the screen share local client and type in their IP address. Once you do that you should be able to remote the user.

hudsonalpha
New Contributor

Well it isn't solved because that shouldn't be an issue.

JAMF reports the IP address (local and External) so it shouldn't be a problem.