Script to add password for encrypted volume to keychain

etippett
Contributor II

Thought I'd share this for anyone who might find it useful.

We have users whose FileVault2-encrypted Macs are backed up with Time Machine to un-encrypted external hard drives. This kind of destroys the point of securing the data on the internal drive, so we're changing our policies to require the external drives to be encrypted. As such I've been working on a way to encrypt the drive and add the password to the user's keychain so that they are not prompted to unlock the drive when it is connected. Eventually I'll work this into Self Service and prompt the user to provide a password. Here's what I have for now:

#!/bin/bash

#Encrypt Time Machine drive
mountPath=`tmutil destinationinfo | grep "Mount Point" | awk -F ": " '{print $2}'`
if [ "$mountPath" = "" ]
then
        #Drive not mounted
        exit 1
fi
diskutil cs convert "$mountPath" -passphrase "$PASSWORD"

#Add password to user keychain
uuid=`diskutil cs info "$mountPath" | grep UUID | awk '{print $2}' | head -n 1`
volumeName=`tmutil destinationinfo | grep "Name" | awk -F ": " '{print $2}'`
currentUser=$(ls -l /dev/console | awk '{ print $3 }')
security add-generic-password -a "$uuid" -D "Encrypted Volume Password" -s "$volumeName" -w "$PASSWORD" -T /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/ -T /System/Library/CoreServices/CSUserAgent /Users/"$currentUser"/Library/Keychains/login.keychain

Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

etippett
Contributor II

@bentoms: Thanks, that's an interesting app he's written and I may have a use for it yet. Turns out my issue was much simpler than I thought: a variable that wasn't set. D'oh! Posting here helped me get away from it for a minute and realize my error. I've updated my original post to include the final script for anyone who may find it useful.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

etippett
Contributor II

@bentoms: Thanks, that's an interesting app he's written and I may have a use for it yet. Turns out my issue was much simpler than I thought: a variable that wasn't set. D'oh! Posting here helped me get away from it for a minute and realize my error. I've updated my original post to include the final script for anyone who may find it useful.