Security Update 2019-001 & Build Version

alexthefourth
New Contributor

If applying Security Update 2019-001 does that change the build version of the OS? Im currently blocking FaceTime on all machines but I would like to allow people who have installed the security update to use FaceTime again. Im running in circles trying to find a way that I can identify those who have installed the security update. If its not the build version, is there anything else that indicates if a security update has been installed?

6 REPLIES 6

Rocky
New Contributor III

Yes, build numbers change with the OS updates. For instance, for Mojave build number descriptions see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_Mojave

nwagner
Contributor

You can also check in /Library/Receipts/InstallHistory.plist

You can run:

cat /Library/Receipts/InstallHistory.plist | grep 'Security Update'

Should return a string like

<string>Security Update 2019-001</string>

Build numbers can change with Security Updates, but they are kind of unreliable as there are alot of different builds and stuff, also jamf is kinda slow to retrieve build versions from specific machines.

Hope that helps.

erowan
New Contributor III

@alexthefourth Here are the Security Update 2019-001 product and build versions I have in my shop. The Mojave 10.14.3 release was followed by a supplemental update.

"/usr/bin/sw_vers" ;

Sierra:
10.12.6.16G1815

High Siera:
10.13.6.17G5019

Mojave:
10.14.3.18D42 (initial release)
10.14.3.18D43 (re-release)
10.14.3.18D109 (Supplemental Update)

alexthefourth
New Contributor

@nwagner If i run that and see a specific security update I understand that that machine has installed the security update. How can I then turn that result into something that i can query? My scripting knowledge is very limited but I imagine it could be an extension attribute to return true or false so that I can create a smart group based on that?

JustDeWon
Contributor III

@alexthefourth , instead of returning True or False, you can actually just set the variable and return the results of the variable.. Then create a smart group from that.

alexthefourth
New Contributor

Sorry I dont follow, what do you mean by set the variable?