Self-help for Helpdesk folks

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Is anyone using the Casper Self-Help feature to enable Helpdesk staff the ability to "give" software to a user? The software would be packaged by a group that handles packaging. The Helpdesk would need be able to queue up the package so the user can select it, and it installs without prompting for admin rights. I would imagine the process would prompt the user to log off, then the install would happen, followed by a reboot.

Thanks,
Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com
4 REPLIES 4

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Why wouldn't you make the package available via Casper's Self-Service app?

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Robert,
On Dec 15, 2009, at 10:32 AM, Robert Hammen wrote:

I'm not up to speed on Casper Suite yet so I was hoping to get input from folks who use Self-Service to deploy stuff to users. If there's an application that can do it, great. Does it allow distribution of software that requires admin rights, to non-admin users?

Thanks for your input, it's valuable.

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

ernstcs
Contributor III

The Self-Service application is exactly what you want to allow non-administrative users to install software packages, roll out an update to an existing software, and more, even to the point of installing Apple software updates without admin rights.

You can be really cool and display a message on their screen saying software updates are available for your system that direct them to the self service application that you have installed on their systems.

Been using it to push out CS4 to clients who want it, etc.

We don't use it heavily here, but we do use it and I'm glad it's there.

Craig E

dderusha
Contributor
On Dec 15, 2009, at 10:47 AM, Don Montalvo wrote: On Dec 15, 2009, at 10:32 AM, Robert Hammen wrote: On Dec 15, 2009, at 10:17 AM, Don Montalvo wrote: Is anyone using the Casper Self-Help feature to enable Helpdesk staff the ability to "give" software to a user? The software would be packaged by a group that handles packaging. The Helpdesk would need be able to queue up the package so the user can select it, and it installs without prompting for admin rights. I would imagine the process would prompt the user to log off, then the install would happen, followed by a reboot. Why wouldn't you make the package available via Casper's Self-Service app? Hi Robert, I'm not up to speed on Casper Suite yet so I was hoping to get input from folks who use Self-Service to deploy stuff to users. If there's an application that can do it, great. Does it allow distribution of software that requires admin rights, to non-admin users? Thanks for your input, it's valuable.

Don-

thats the beauty of self service. All of the admin authentication is built in, its as simple as choosing what you want to install in self service, click the install button, and wait for the software to download and install. No authentication needed for the end user. We use Self service to deploy printers, software packages like Office, Firefox, custom applications, fonts, etc.

Dan