Self Service and Apple ID

chipeer
New Contributor

Hi All, New member here trying to setup our iPads. I'm missing the Self Service app. I have it enabled in the settings. After the iPad boots up from the initial setup it says this apple id cannot be used for purchases. I'm thinking that is stopping the Self Service app from installing. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ljcacioppo
Contributor III

So if you are using Managed Apple ID's, those cannot purchase items from the App Store

If that is the case and you are trying to deploy Self Service, you will likely want to purchase licenses (albeit, free so this won't cost anything) via Apple School Manager/Apple Business Manager and deploy out the apps to the devices using a Managed Distribution instead of just prompting users to install

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ljcacioppo
Contributor III

So if you are using Managed Apple ID's, those cannot purchase items from the App Store

If that is the case and you are trying to deploy Self Service, you will likely want to purchase licenses (albeit, free so this won't cost anything) via Apple School Manager/Apple Business Manager and deploy out the apps to the devices using a Managed Distribution instead of just prompting users to install

kevin_neely
New Contributor III

To add on to what ljccioppo said, you'll also need to make sure the app is scoped to the iPads you are working with.

chipeer
New Contributor

Sorry, I feel like a dummy I didn't realize it was an app you had to install from the app store. I thought it would automatically be installed from the Jamf Profile since I told it to auto-install. I guess the instructions were a little unclear.