Self Service asking for admin user authentication

hkim
Contributor II

I'm using Self Service to install a few things, and I've made sure the setting in Settings > Computer Management Framework Settings > Self Service are setup to "End users do not need to authenticate locally to install Self Service Items"

Most packages install just fine in the past, but I do have a package that keeps prompting for end user password.

Any hints on where to start to diagnose why this is happening?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Sometimes that authentication prompt is due to an incorrect stored password in the computer record for your Casper management account. Since the jamf binary uses that local management account to authorize the installation, if something doesn't match up, your users will get that prompt. I'd first take a look at that for any affected computers.
In your case though it sounds like only certain packages prompt the user and others don't? Or is it now happening on all packages and wasn't before? In either case you can also take a look at the package itself to see if something in it may be causing this behavior, Is the pkg vendor supplied or something you built in Composer? Is it a regular .pkg or a meta-package (.mpkg)?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Sometimes that authentication prompt is due to an incorrect stored password in the computer record for your Casper management account. Since the jamf binary uses that local management account to authorize the installation, if something doesn't match up, your users will get that prompt. I'd first take a look at that for any affected computers.
In your case though it sounds like only certain packages prompt the user and others don't? Or is it now happening on all packages and wasn't before? In either case you can also take a look at the package itself to see if something in it may be causing this behavior, Is the pkg vendor supplied or something you built in Composer? Is it a regular .pkg or a meta-package (.mpkg)?

hkim
Contributor II

Thanks for the tip to check on the JSS management account! That's exactly what it was and it's only for this one machine.