Send Remote Command limit?

arobertson
New Contributor II

Hello, does anyone know the max number of devices you can send a remote command to? I used the action tab in one of my advance searches to Send Remote Commands to over a thousand devices but it never completes the task. It only spins.

18 REPLIES 18

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I hadn't heard of a limit, but it sounds like you just found it!

zharvest
New Contributor

I was just able to send out an Inventory Update to 1500 iPads. It spins for a few extra seconds but eventually went through. We host our own.

arobertson
New Contributor II

Ok thanks for the info.

wdpickle
Contributor

We are unable to send commands to any group larger than 300 devices. Has anyone found a way to overcome this or is this just an issue for our cloud instance? We have a ticket open with JAMF but no resolution yet

asaidi
New Contributor

Yep i am the same wdpickle spoke to JAMF and they did say they have it capped at 500 but i am lucky if i can get a command to more than 300. They are aware of the issue but unfortunately no fix yet. I have had fluky moments where 700 have worked.

RDowson
New Contributor III

Same issue here. We have over 55k iPads, 5k Apple TVs and 200 Macs. We can't push out batch commands or even run reports on over 1000 devices. Its a nightmare!

wdpickle
Contributor

Bumping this again. I just reopened our support ticket that went into inactive status and then closed, because i wasn't keeping JAMF informed of our progress.

RDowson
New Contributor III

We have a case open with Jamf about this right now. It appears to relate to the cloud load balancer timing out rather than a server resource issue.
Our ticket is currently at the highest support level and our enterprise customer success manager is pushing for updates every day. They’ve confirmed that other people are experiencing the issue so that’s good news in terms of getting a quicker fix.

Slicer
New Contributor III

I, too, am having the same issue. I want to send a command to wipe some 5600 devices so that I can re-enroll them with new configurations.

Swel1215
New Contributor

We are trying to to send a remote command to wipe 102 devices and it won't go through!! Restart goes through etc. AND we are confirming the number to wipe before hitting Next and clearing activation lock. Very frustrating.

AlexQualtrics
New Contributor

They told us the same. About 500 Macs is the limit but I have been successful with more on occasion. They said the limitation is from Apple and not them. I mainly use it to force install macOS Updates for users that failed to update themselves 🤣

Slicer
New Contributor III

Has anybody heard anything new on this? I'm looking at having to wipe some 4,000 iPads this summer and would prefer to do fewer batches.

wdpickle
Contributor

My only help for this is to do a searches for username like "do" then "da" then "ca" then "ch" and so on. We have about 10K iPads and this gives me smaller chunks to push a command to. Hope this helps a bit. 

One day it may get fixed.

Slicer
New Contributor III

Well, that stinks. I was hoping they had fixed it where we could do more than 100 at a time.

wdpickle
Contributor

as long as we stay under about 450 it works most of the time

Slicer
New Contributor III
Ah, that helps. My thought was to create a csv with different Rooms (WipeA,
WipeB, WipeC, etc...), use that csv for Inventory Preload and then create
Smart Groups based on Room.

--
Thank you,
John Hainley
Cloud Application Support
HEB ISD
johnhainley@hebisd.edu
(817) 399-2163

wdpickle
Contributor

I have a search that I change the username letters, room would work as well

arobertson
New Contributor II

There is still not a fix for this that I've seen. I created diff Advanced Mobile Device Searches with the individual campuses as criteria. I also have Advanced searches that are made up of 3 campuses each. These don't impact my environment because they aren't constantly pulling data, so I can have as many as I'd like. I use both type groups to send remote commands in large numbers. I have had success as long as I keep in under a thousand.