Server 5: Caching Server's iCloud User Data Acceleration

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

Server 5 supports the caching of encrypted iCloud user data "acceleration" as well as OS X and iOS updates, recovery images, App Store data, etc.

See https://help.apple.com/deployment/osx/#/apdf8639b597

Is there a way to disable the caching of iCloud user data? I have no desire to waste the storage space on end user's personal iCloud data. The Apple document above doesn't mention if iCloud Acceleration can be manually disabled or not.

I have not upgraded to Server 5 yet, and I want to investigate this before upgrading.

8 REPLIES 8

rcorbin
Contributor II

@dstranathan I think there maybe some thing about this posted in a krypted article.

http://krypted.com/mac-security/the-new-caching-service-in-os-x-server/

But have you tried just leaving it as is ? I have these in place at 10 sites right now (with lots of users) and to tell you the truth the amount of storage the iCloud portion is requiring is pretty minimal.

I'm talking very minimal. In a building that probably has 1500 Macs and iOS devices the iCloud portion never seems to get above 3GB. In fact it usually hangs in at around 1.5 to 2.5GB of data. And that is with 2 weeks of running Server 5 Caching. My guess is that it only gets cached for a short time and only certain things. Maybe it just holds onto it until it has pushed it to the users other devices ? But at this point my advice would be to just run with it and see how it goes. It seems fine so far so I'm going to leave it unless those stats change drastically.

mtruskowski
New Contributor III

According to this blog post you can disable iCloud caching with this command in terminal:

sudo serveradmin settings caching:AllowPersonalCaching = no

I ran it this morning on one of our servers running 5. It appears to be working as there is no iCloud data cached as of now. I think the amount of cached data will largely depend on the users and what they have enabled. On my home server I had over 60GB of iCloud data cached, and that is for only two people. Most likely iCloud Photo Library being the bulk of it.

rcorbin
Contributor II

Interesting post @mtruskowski I'll have to file that one away. But with the small amounts I'm getting in very big settings I'll leave it on for the time being.

mtruskowski
New Contributor III

@rcorbin I would be interested to hear whether it stays small over time. Maybe I am an outlier as far as iCloud users goes.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

Thanks everyone, Ill upgrade Server to 5 and play around with it.

Seetendra
New Contributor

I did try that command and for some reason it is not working on the server.
It is still caching the Icloud data on the server.
Is there a way by which i can chose to delete just the icloud data from the server cache.

mtruskowski
New Contributor III

Not any way that I know of, other than just resetting the service entirely. The data is stored in a pretty opaque way. Someone else correct me if I am wrong though, I have never actually tried to delete individual items. As far as the command not working, I did notice on ours that there is a tiny amount of iCloud data there. Way too small for what I would expect if it were "on" though. From what I am seeing on my home server, it looks like iCloud data gets removed on its own over time, even if there is still space left.

Seetendra
New Contributor

Got it Resolved
Had to remove the Cached data from the server and remove the services as well as the entire server application
And the once i installed the application again i was able to enter the command before the server started picking up data Now it is not caching any icloud data
Note :-
There is no way to turn off Itunes and Ibooks data It will still get stored on the server.anyone please correct me if i am wrong here.