setregproptool versions

nextyoyoma
Contributor

Ok, long story short, we have an SMC problem with a bunch of our computers. The Apple engineer I'm working with seems pretty convinced that it's because we used the "wrong" version of setregproptool to set a firmware password on the machines. He says that there are hardware-specific versions of the tool, and that you should always use the "correct" version when possible. However, when I run the version we used (from the 10.7.3 installer from the App Store), it shows the same version as the one that came stock on the recovery partition of our computers (V2.0 (9)), BUT the release dates are different. It seems odd to me that they would include substantially different versions of the same tool under the same version and build number. Anyway...

If any of you are using firmware passwords on the Macbook Air 13" Education model (1.6gHz), can you tell me what version (by date) of setregprop tool you used?

1 REPLY 1

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Our macbook airs are version 5,2 in JSS, the 2012 version. I believe the date modified on the tool is May 25 2011 4:06pm - does that help? I'm not seeing a version anywhere in get info.