shared iPad provisioning

shannon_pasto
Contributor

Hi all.

I'm just wanting to reach out to anyone provisioning shared iPads with MDM in an environment that has restrictions on (802.1x) WiFi. The situation I'm in is that the higher-ed that I work for is governed by federal government metadata laws that require us to record all internet activity to a user account on our wireless network, essentially we are considered an ISP/RSP. This makes life extremely difficult in that I can't use 1 set of shared credentials to provision iPads, instead each user needs to sign into the wireless network. This isn't an issue for 1 to 1 iPads but is impossible in situations where iPads are shared in classes or where users don't have credentials (visiting students etc). We did have a free WiFi network but that has been turned off so that's not a possibility.

If you are in this situation what solution(s) have you come up with? Some ideas that have been thrown around are...

• wireless to ethernet bridge - possible as our wired network is exempt to the metadata laws (please don't ask me to explain this as I don't fully understand why), iPads won't be able to "roam" away so not the best solution
• 4G hot spots - great for a small set of iPads but not great for any more than 5 or so, also data plans are an issue (cost, speed etc), like the bridge devices won't be able to roam
• iPads with 4G/cell - possible for new purchases but doesn't help existing iPads. Increased cost of device and data plans are an issue

Any advice/suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Shannon

0 REPLIES 0