Shared Model iPads - MAID resets lose data and sometimes won't log in

david_yenzer
Contributor II

I tried to see if there were any Shared Model posts about this and didn't see what I was looking for. Sorry if duplicated elsewhere.

(1) It's been discovered that when you reset a MAID password using ASM, when the user logs into their device again all their data has been wiped including from the Camera. Clean slate. If they've saved data in the cloud, it should be recoverable but from what we've seen and been told the default state for saving data to the cloud is off. So you'd have to log in as the MAID user again, launch the specific app desired, then turn on iCloud or google cloud backup to access the saved data. We spoke with Apple about this and my understanding at the time was that they did not intend to change that. Our Apple SE said otherwise because that's really not cool, and asked me to send him the info so he could forward it up the chain - but I haven't heard back yet about that. In the meantime, it makes it more important to use apps that allow for saving data in the cloud.

(2) MAID user password reset issues - we've been told that there is no way to stop users from locking out other users. So for a class of 30 odd kids, they all see each other's users and can go poke incorrect passwords all day long. Technically hacking, so their account gets locked. Either myself or another user needs to reset the password. And of course, if the password gets reset currently, all their data is lost.

(3) ASM teacher password resets - I don't want to reset passwords all day long. It sucks. So I have tried to enable my teachers to reset passwords using their MAID info via the Classroom app. From my brief testing it worked fine and I've had a few users doing it. However, there have been a dozen or so teachers where it stops working so they cannot reset passwords. I haven't investigated this enough to understand what's occurring. I've reset a few users and that got them up and running again, but I've also had some where a reset doesn't get them up and running again. Maybe this is a permissions thing coming in from our PowerSchool data? It was kind of nice because the teacher could only reset students within their building - but that makes me wonder if there's something screwy with permissions.

(4) MAID users refuse to log in until I prove that they can login on my test iPad - a teacher reports to me that a student can't login on their iPad. We do the usual simple fixes, verify it's on wireless, etc. If none of those resolve it, I reset the MAID password. They say it doesn't work. I assign the class to my test iPad and login successfully. They try again on their iPad and now it works.

(5) MAID login issues resulting in iPad swapping - Shared Model is supposed to allow for iPads to be used at random. However, they do still typically assign specific iPads to a student for tracking, quickness, and whatever other reasons. We've had several cases where a student in #4 cannot login on their iPad. So they simply try on another class iPad and it works fine. What is the problem with the first iPad that denies that user but still allows other students to login successfully?

0 REPLIES 0