Sierra and Windows Network Folders

bruth85
New Contributor III

We are just starting to deploy Macbooks into our environment and have found an issue with Sierra and our Windows Network folders. When we have Sierra installed and try to access a network share the folders take forever to load/refresh. While they are trying to load you will get an error stating that you don't have authority to access the folders even though that is incorrect. If we run El Capitan we don't have that issue. Has anyone else ran into similar issues and is there a fix for it or do we need to make sure and explicitly tell our VP's who are getting the Macbooks to not install Sierra after they get the machines for now?

Sorry if you need more info, im a noob to the group. Just ask and I can provide any additional information you may need.

4 REPLIES 4

cmeyers
New Contributor II

Good morning @bruth85 I have run in to a similar problem on the campus where I work. We have found a work around by mapping the drives using cifs:// instead of smb:// but this may not be viable solution for most people.

It is my understanding that in Sierra the /Volumes folder is no longer world-writable.

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2016/09/21/macos-sierras-volumes-folder-is-no-longer-world-writable/

Hope this helps.......if I find a more permanent fix I will let you know.

bruth85
New Contributor III

Thanks @cmeyers I will check with our server team to see if the cifs:// would work here. We need to get this figured out sooner than later now that they are releasing High Sierra.

Look
Valued Contributor III

This is a new security feature in Sierra to prevent automatic connection to unknown servers.
If you want to disable this behaviour (which you basically have to do if you want automatic connection to Windows serers) you can do it with.

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.NetworkAuthorization AllowUnknownServers -bool YES

bruth85
New Contributor III

@cmeyers Just FYI it looks like High Sierra does not have the same issue with SMB shares...