Slow Server (IMAGING)

Not applicable

Hi Guys,

I'm running JSS off an Xserve 2 x 2.8GHz Quad Core with 8Gb of RAM and still finding that it's hit and miss when trying to communicate a set of 10 x MacBooks with it (via NetBoot). Booting off the Server is OK, however when I have to login to start the imaging process, it takes forever and mostly fails to connect to the server.
Why is this ???
I keep having to run the database troubleshooting options to get it working effectively.
Surely there is an easier option as I have around 500 machines to image at the end of the year.

Cheers

P.S. Once it starts imaging, it's fine (30Gb in 7 mins).

Andrew Jezard
(MacBook Program Administrator)

Sacred Heart College
Retreat Road
Newtown, VIC, 3220

Tel: (03) 5222 0520
Fax: (03) 5221 3634

2 REPLIES 2

ernstcs
Contributor III

What are your settings for Tomcat memory in the JSS Setup Utility?

Is it configured to run in 64bit?

Are you on 10.6 Server?

What version of the JSS are you on?

Highlight the Web Application subsection and go the settings tab at the bottom.

I have very similar specs and have the JSS set to use Min 480MB and Max 4096MB with PermGen both at 64MB, Tomcat in 64bit mode.

Is your netboot server the same server as the JSS?

Are your logs showing your SSH daemon getting hammered by something other than JSS data?

Craig E

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

When a client is netbooted, it only needs to read the auto run data off the JSS. If that is taking forever, I would imagine that something is "throttling," your network connection from client to server.

How many Macs are checking into the database at any given time? We have 8,000 Macs here and our server has to have 24 gigs of RAM, 16 of which is dedicated to TomCat so it can handle all the incoming recons when the clients check in. It took me about a year or so to balance everything out, add the right amount of RAM, and tweak the server so it would meet my needs and expectations on how the JSS should function in my environment.

Sometimes, it literally is trial by fire. However, let my mistakes benefit you. So, if you could please give us a bit more info on your set up I am sure someone here can point you in the right direction.