Smart Computer Groups Based on Computer Name

jshipman
New Contributor III

I have Smart Computer groups setup to catch computer names so the criteria is:

Criteria: computer name
Operator: Like
Value: WOLTL

It only returns one computer. But when I put in a search for computers that is WOLTL* it returns to me 37 computers (which is the correct number). What am I doing wrong in the Computer Group settings that isn't catching those computers?

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@jshipman, what version of the JSS?

jshipman
New Contributor III

@mm2270 9.2

jshipman
New Contributor III

@mm2270 9.2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I had a feeling. It would make sense that using "Like" as an operator in the Smart Group would take care of the wildcard, but I wonder if a wildcard is still necessary in JSS 9.2 when building a group. Doesn't really make sense though, because if that;s the case, why even have a Like operator?

I don't have a version 9 JSS set up at the moment that I can test against, so I can't confirm for you if I see the same behavior. Perhaps someone else can chime in to let us know. If its requiring the asterisk, I'd almost say its a defect, because as I said, "like" should take care of that for you already.

frozenarse
Contributor II

I'm not sure if things are different in 9.2 (we are currently on 8.x). We use MySQL wildcards depending on what we need.
_ replaces a single character and % replaces multiple

So for example if we want to snag computers with "TEST for the 5th through 8th characters in our computer name scheme the smartgroup would look for names "Like" _TEST__

jshipman
New Contributor III

@mm2270 I have tried it with and without the wildcard and I have tried it with the like and with the is.

@frozenarse I tried to use the MySQL wildcards both for the number of single characters and for the multiple characters and I still get the same results.

Any other ideas?

pblake
Contributor III

I did this in 9.1 Works perfectly. Perhaps this is a 9.2 bug?

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Did you ever get this working? I would have expected WOLTL% to have worked.

I'm doing a jamfnation search for 'wildcard' as I'm having trouble creating a particular criteria with LIKE and the current % and _. Please consider upvoting this FR https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=1795. Thanks.

noah
New Contributor II

I'm on 9.82 and still getting this issue. Not all the time though. The Smart Groups I created before upgrading all seem to work with "Computer Name like SOMETHING-" for computers named SOMETHING-01 et c., but new groups I create don't work at all. It's funny the "..." button will actually suggest all the computers I want to include as possibilities but they don't end up in the group. Maybe someone slipped and accidentally made "like" "is"?