Smart Notebook 15 software - activation help?

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Has anyone successfully gotten silent activation working with Smart Notebook 15 at image time?

I've tried baking the site license SN into the package, when deployed to clients, it wasn't activated & had an error.

Now I'm packaging the trial version of Smart 15 software with no SN and following their guide for silent activation.

If I install my trial Smart 15 package and then login with a non admin account and run following (with our key in terminal), Smart 15 licenses properly, app opens properly as activated for all users.

/Library/Application Support/SMART Technologies/activationwizard.app/Contents/MacOS/activationwizard --puid=notebook_14 --m=4 --v=3 --a --pk=NC-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXX

If I put the same command in an 'at reboot' script, it inputs the serial number correctly on the client, but on launch it says it's still in demo mode for 90 days not activated.

If I open terminal and run the above command again manually it activates as it should. On a whim I changed the at reboot script to run twice but same thing saying in demo mode not activated.

Anyone have any ideas of what could be different from me running the same command manually in terminal versus it running in an at reboot script?

19 REPLIES 19

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

I should have mentioned that my 'at reboot' scripts run with the adobe temp user logged in because I have to run quickadd packages for imaging/enrollment to work right. I would think though if the command above works as a non admin user it should be irrelevant.

foigus
New Contributor III

Couple thoughts:

1. The guide indicates to use "sudo". Not being a Casper user, I'll ask whether your scripted command is running with root privileges (I'd be nearly positive it is).
  2. Does the serialization command work via SSH? There might be some sort of dependency on a logged in user which is why it might work when run via Terminal in a GUI but not when run without a logged-in user.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@foigus - thanks. The script should be running items as root, I have tons of other stuff in at reboot scripts that runs fine.

It looks like if run it via a policy @ login it works consistently, so just going to go that route and move on to other problems.

Thanks for replying.

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

There's actually a tool from Smart for packaging an auto-activated pkg version. I think it's called Install Manager. I used it back in December to create a customized installer, but I haven't touched it in a few months. Have you tried using it instead of a script?

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@McAwesome - awesome user name. I haven't tried that. Support sent me the KB for using the script. Reading the admin guide and downloading the Install Manager now. Thanks for the info.

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

We use the install manager and it works well enough. You also have the option to include the license info but not activate unless the user tells it to. Not all of our staff actually use the notebook software so that is route we go.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

I looked at the install manager but found the gallery options strange, I'd prefer to bundle them as part of the built installer but it didn't seem like an option. Do you guys host the gallery content on a network share?

ChrisLeeSSD
New Contributor II

We deploy via Self Service. As such we went with the Install Manager and packaged the gallery as part of the install.

Velasquez
New Contributor

How was the gallery included using the Install Manager? Did you put the gallery files on a server? We use windows shares so not sure how to specify that on the install manager.

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

@Velasquez What we ended up having to do was created a dmg to store the files locally somewhere. This was straight forward, but what they never tell you is that the machine you create the package on has to also have those files in that place or it just skips over that part of the pkg creation without alerting you.

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

Just a heads up for any new iMac users. Depending on your install the USB connection to smartboard might not work.We have seen issues with New iMacs and USB3 being backward compatible. Smart knows about this. the workaround is to use the slower keyboard USB port...we are currently testing BENQ boards

LSinNY

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Anyone else having users with SmartNotebook 15 crashing issues? Even with the latest version people are complaining about random crashes. Going to put a ticket in with them shortly.

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@CasperSally outside of the USB issues, we are not seeing any issues with the SmartNotebook 15 on iMacs or Macbook Pros. Please keep us updated on your ticket

LSinNY

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@LSinNY - seems to be isolated to users who use Epson interactive projectors with the latest Smart software. Smart is saying it's a known issue with no ETA. Fun.

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

We are running into an issue where some users can no longer control the computer from the computer. Only on the smartboard until the usb cable is unplugged. You can move the pointer but you can't click on anything.

We are also having issues with the smart service crashing randomly. We have had this issue since 14.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Just wanted to add my $0.02. We only have a few faculty who still use the SMART notebook software or their boards (we use other demo tools instead). However, they are not experiencing any of the issues I'm seeing talked about here. However, since this thread has mostly to do with silent activation during imaging I will only say that we DO use silent activation but we do not install SMART software during imaging. It's generally installed via self-service policy or automated deployment based on user autorun data.

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@Nick_Gooch That was the USB issue I mentioned above. Get this when our AV guy called, the local rep asked why WE did not inform THEM we were installing Late 2013 iMacs, they would would have infomred us of the issue...so far those BENQ boards are working without a hiccup. Compounding the issue, we are also having mirroring/resolution Thunderbolt and VGA issues as seen in the link below..gonna be a busy Oct

Thunderbolt to VGA Issue

cheers

LSinNY

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

Hi All,
just a quick update. Our issues seem to have been resolved by updating to HDMI adapters and 10.11. I have also begun using the SMART supplied Install Manager Application. I have noticed that if I install it via Casper Remote (9.65) with a user logged in, it will activate ( as per including the serial in the package). install at reboot fails to activate. So far the only automated procedure that worked involved munki.

hth
LSinNY

ubyisismayil
New Contributor

Hi All
In new versions of smart notebook you can try below terminal command to renew remotely with tools like ARD

/Library/Application Support/SMART Technologies/Activation Wizard 2.app/Contents/MacOS/Activation Wizard 2 --puid notebook_14 --uipack notebook_10 --m=4 --v=4 --pks "type your activation key here" --a --auto-renew