SMB Desktop/Dock Items

imagswadmin
New Contributor

Is it possible to mount SMB shares on to the dock using Dock items in Version 9.3 ?

We have mapped them as a file so smb://URL/Folder but they never apply they're SMB due to our NetApp appliance being SMB only.

If not does anyone have a better suggestion on how to do this effectively

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mvu
Valued Contributor

I use Applescript to mount SMB shares, then export them as an app, change the icon (Maybe a Z icon), and finally push to my computers via policy and place them in the dock.

Users double-click the Z icon or whatever, authenticate and are in.

Copy and paste the code below in a new AppleScript document. Change the location to your path. Then export. Change File Format to Application. Save.

tell application "Finder" open location "smb://files.xx.xxxx.com/xxxxxxx"
end tell

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

mvu
Valued Contributor

I use Applescript to mount SMB shares, then export them as an app, change the icon (Maybe a Z icon), and finally push to my computers via policy and place them in the dock.

Users double-click the Z icon or whatever, authenticate and are in.

Copy and paste the code below in a new AppleScript document. Change the location to your path. Then export. Change File Format to Application. Save.

tell application "Finder" open location "smb://files.xx.xxxx.com/xxxxxxx"
end tell

View solution in original post

imagswadmin
New Contributor

Thanks so much! Thats pretty awesome much appreciated

EliasG
Contributor

How did you push this out with casper after making the application? @imagswadmin @mvu

mvu
Valued Contributor

So the application is a self-contained app. It'd be no different than sending out a Firefox.app (without all the preferences and all). This is one way to do it. After you create the application, let's call it "H Drive", do this:

1. Drag the H Drive to your Applications folder
  2. Open Composer
  3. Drag the H Drive in the SOURCES window
  4. Change permissions as needed (I like to send it out as a PKG over DMG)
  5. Build as PKG
  6. Drag the H Drive to your dock
  7. Upload the package to Casper Admin
  8. Add the H Drive Dock item
  9. Set a policy to push out the package and dock item

jmsgrady
New Contributor III

Just curious - what are the permissions you use in Composer?

mvu
Valued Contributor

Sure. I let the top folder -- so this instance the Applications folder -- percolate its permissions all the way down.

So I click on the Applications folder in Composer (after you drag the H Drive into the SOURCES window). I click the grinding wheel in lower-right hand corner and select, "Apply Permissions to Applications and All Enclosed Items".

Worked well for me in my environment and many other scripts/apps. But your place requirements may differ.

jcb
New Contributor

Thanks for your solution mvu, it really for me out of a jam.

The only thing I added was the domain into the syntax.

tell application "Finder" open location "smb://domain;username:password@host/share"
end tell

J_JohnstonAT
New Contributor

I've managed to do this and push it out to myself and works well. When I push it to another user, it still works, but when launching it, the authentication window opens, with my username populated! Guess I've either missed something, or there is a way for this not to happen?!

J_JohnstonAT
New Contributor

Ive sorted this now 🙂

Flexmacmgmt
New Contributor II

I want to use the similar method to push SMB share icon on all JAMF enrolled mac. I tried to use script editor and put the below command. tell application "Finder" open location "smb://XXXXXXX/XXX/XXX/ "
end tell
However i am getting below error. but it is giving me syntax error - Expected end of line but found command name.

mvu
Valued Contributor

Did you enter your correct server share address inside the quotes? Example: "smb"//your/server/share/HERE/"