smb printer share issue after Windows update on spooler server

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello community,
is there anyone using Windows smb printer shares on Windows Server 2019?
Since the last Windows patchday, we face an issue, that the Macs are no longer able to communicate over smb with our spooler servers. If I am right, at the servers smb version 2 is activated. The behavior is, that when a printer job was sent, the job is shown inside the local spooler of the Mac and then it should be sent to the spooler server. This fails. The installed printer is getting to pause immediately.
We did not change anything in our "Mac World", but only installed the Windows updates on the spooler servers.
Reset the Mac printer system and reinstall the printer did not work.
If we install a printer manually, the message appears "communication via smb with the server impossible" .
Have anyone a suggestion ?
Thank you for your answers and
stay health
NOVELLUS

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

geoff_widdowson
Contributor II

I had this issue last month. SMB for print is now deprecated after a windows update. You will need to move your printers to lpd. Problem here is lpd is no longer installed by default on Windows servers so you will need to get lpd protocol instaled by those that look after your windows servers. After that you will need to remove the smb print from all your Macs and push out a replacement queue using lpd.

If you used a script install of the printers, you just need to chanfe the part with smb to lpd.

View solution in original post

AntMac
Contributor

Adding on from other comments. 

We use lpd for our windows server shared printers but they are running Server 2012 R2. Has been working well for us and was not impacted by the print nightmare patches.

I know LPD is deprecated starting from Server 2012 but can still be added even for Server 2019. Can still be added as a role under Print and Document Services as it is not enabled by default starting from Server 2012.   
Eventually MS want people to shift to IPP but as far as I know no formal EOL date has been announced for LPD.    

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Addendum:

It doesn't matter whether the operating system is Mac OS Big Sur or Monterey, both operating systems are affected.

Qwheel
Contributor II

Don't know much about the server side of things, but before we used to use JAMF, we used to always have issues with our main print service printers going to 'paused' status. The only fix we had was to remove the printer and add it again. 

Have you tried removing the printer from the devices and re-installing it?

Good luck.

geoff_widdowson
Contributor II

I had this issue last month. SMB for print is now deprecated after a windows update. You will need to move your printers to lpd. Problem here is lpd is no longer installed by default on Windows servers so you will need to get lpd protocol instaled by those that look after your windows servers. After that you will need to remove the smb print from all your Macs and push out a replacement queue using lpd.

If you used a script install of the printers, you just need to chanfe the part with smb to lpd.

AntMac
Contributor

Adding on from other comments. 

We use lpd for our windows server shared printers but they are running Server 2012 R2. Has been working well for us and was not impacted by the print nightmare patches.

I know LPD is deprecated starting from Server 2012 but can still be added even for Server 2019. Can still be added as a role under Print and Document Services as it is not enabled by default starting from Server 2012.   
Eventually MS want people to shift to IPP but as far as I know no formal EOL date has been announced for LPD.    

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there 🙂
Thank you so much for answering to my question.
In fact is was a Windows update, so that disabled the smb print service and we need to change to lpd.
thanx a lot and stay health!

It’s good etiquette to mark the post that gave you the solution, not your own.

Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry, bad mistake, it's fixed.

thank you for the note

BenIdrissi
New Contributor II

Anyone that has the name of the security update?KBxxxxxxx

Here is the link to the Microsoft article with the links to all KBs for different OS versions. Scroll towards bottom of page for details. 

https://msrc.microsoft.com/update-guide/vulnerability/CVE-2021-34527