Software update server vs caching server

kyoung
Contributor

JAMF still has the settings dialog for a software update server in the JSS. My preliminary investigation is hearing that Apple's caching server is the bee's knee's so why isn't JAMF using that instead? Does the SUS fill some role that the caching server can't? Should we be set up to take advantage of both for different reasons? If so, what are the different advantages of each?

3 REPLIES 3

gregneagle
Valued Contributor

Caching Server is indeed quite nice. But:

1) You need OS X Server to run it. A software update server can be run on any platform or OS.

2) Caching Server provides no way to control update availability. If you want to prevent users from updating to a new OS X update or a new version of Safari until after you have completed testing, Caching Server cannot help you. A Software Update server, on the other hand, can.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

kyoung
Contributor

Thanks for the weekend response. : )

I have a Mac Mini running Caching Server already so that part is taken care of.

Those factors were duly noted by me but I may have made a false assumption. I had thought that there were other methods within the Casper Suite to control what software a user loaded on a school laptop. Are there others methods in Casper or have I had a brain cramp? Are there other methods to "cache" all the other Apple content that caching server handles or do you just have to do without those items if you need to control software distribution?

I guess I don't understand the basic organization of Casper well enough to see whether I should pick one or if there is a way to take advantage of both.