Some computers refuse to show up in Smart Groups even though they fit the criteria.

rich_seide
New Contributor

Hi,

This has been an issue ever since I started using Casper at different companies. For whatever reason, when I set up Smart Groups to scope policies to, it is not 100% accurate and some computers will not show up in the groups even though they fit the criteria.

For example, I set up a Smart Group to capture any computers that start with the letters DCM. My computer's name is DCM0CEFH05L and it will not show up in this group. The criteria I used is: Computer name is like DCM.

We have over 80+ Macs and only 65 of them show up in this group. When I run sudo jamf manage/policy/recon on my Mac it doesn't help. It still won't show up in this group, among other Macs. This is a problem when trying to scope policies and Self Service items as they won't show up for those certain Macs. I have to explicitly add that one (or more) to the scope. This kind of defeats the purpose of smart groups and scoping.

How do I get these smart groups to at least get as close to 100% accuracy as possible?

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

JamesJhoung
Contributor

Are you using Sites? Are all your Macs showing up as being Managed?

rich_seide
New Contributor

@jamez179 We are not really using sites. And I have been trying to figure out how to separate managed and unmanaged clients. To answer your question, I am not sure.

Since my own Mac won't show up in the smart group I created, I ran sudo jamf mdm and got this result: MDM already enabled or not available - that's not very clear if my Mac is managed or not.

I'm still unclear as to how a Mac can be unmanaged yet still communicating with the JSS.

EDIT: I just noticed for the Smart Group in question, the option to add those computers to a site was enabled. I turned it off and now I have over 112 Macs in the Smart Group, so I think that was the problem for this Smart Group. I have others that seem to be behaving the same way.

amit_vasani
New Contributor II

@rich.seide Can you screenshot the criteria for the smart group.

Also, Smart groups will only show managed devices while Advanced searches will show managed and unmanaged.

rich_seide
New Contributor

@avasani how do you set up an advanced search to show unmanaged devices? I have been trying to figure this out but can't seem to.

literally, the criteria is what I put about in my OP and nothing else. as I mentioned in my edit, setting the "add to site" to "none" fixed that group, I think. I now have over 30 more Macs showing up in that group.

how to Macs become unmanaged after being managed?

JamesJhoung
Contributor

For your advanced search setup criteria "Managed" is "Unmanaged".

rich_seide
New Contributor

@jamez179 i've been searching for that in advanced search criteria and all i see is an option to check off managed. what version of Casper/JSS are you running?

I get to the Advanced search by clicking the JSS icon in the top left, then I click on the Computers icon at the top. I click + to make a new list but I don't see the option for "managed" even if I expand All Criteria. What am I missing?

NEVERMIND! I found it. Definitely a "derp" moment. Sorry.

amit_vasani
New Contributor II

@rich.seide Glad you found it! Is everything working now?

rich_seide
New Contributor

@avasani Yes, it seems to be! Thanks for following up.