SQL query help

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

Doing a big no-no, and trying to get an export from the database with a sql query for application inventory. I'm running the following:

select application_name,application_version, count(*) as count from applications group by application_name

is creating what appears to be a complete list of apps by version, however my count seems to be way off (by THOUSANDS in some cases). Anyone got a query that works for them to get an exportable application inventory? I've seen others working through this same problem (some mention the API, which I haven't had any luck with either) with mixed results. Any suggestions (other than don't play in the DB) will be greatly appreciated.

What I'm specifically after is our Adobe products (contract time!). I've seen others suggest using some form of

WHERE c.application_name LIKE '%

type statement to sort just the names you're after, but that's not working much for me either. In case you hadn't realized, I'm very much a SQL n00b.

2 REPLIES 2

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

For Adobe products, why not use the Licensed Software interface in the JSS? We use that to report on the number of Creative Cloud installs that we have, as well as the specific packages under our EA. It does a good job of letting more-complete packages supersede single app licenses or smaller groupings.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

The issue about the Licensed Software interface is that we'd have to a) manually build out that inventory collection, so if app versions/name/installs/whatever changes, it's not a dynamic change and b) that you still don't get any way to export a report of the installs. This has always felt like a no-brainer for the application search tool, but for some reason, there's no way to export from there.