Step-by-step for creating Lion Installer package for Casper?

Walter
New Contributor II

Does anyone have a step-by-step instruction list for creating a Lion Installer package? I tried adding InstallESD.dmg via CasperAdmin and checking the box that it is an OS Installer. Casper verifies the package successfully, but then says it is not an OS installer.

I'm new to this aspect of Casper and the 8.21 docs are sparse on step-by-step instructions for how to create an OS installer. I see that in most cases you need to install the OS by hand on a given platform, configure it for your environment, then use the Casper Imaging tool to snapshop that system and make an installer package.

In the Casper List I have read that people were able to simply use InstallESD.dmg inside the Install Mac OS X Lion.app/Contents/SharedResources folder but I can't seem to get it to work for me. Perhaps I've missed some steps or don't have a firm enough grasp of what to expect. Ideally I would like to set this up as a Self-Service package until I have tested it and feel comfortable with what it will do.

Thanks in advance,
Walter
--
Walter Rowe, System Hosting
Enterprise Systems / OISM
walter.rowe at nist.gov<mailto:walter.rowe at nist.gov>
301-975-2885

4 REPLIES 4

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

Walter

To get Casper Admin to see the installesd.dmg as an installer disk you need to run it under 10.7. Otherwise it won't recognize it as an OS X installer.

Thanks
Allen

Not applicable

Allen,

Was your server running Lion too? We were able to get Casper Admin to see it as an installer disk, but when we actually tried to do the compile, installer would regularly hang on one of the postinstall scripts.

Did you actually do a successful compile?

Jeffrey Compton

Lead I.S. Engineer | Mac Security | The MITRE Corporation | Office: 703-983-3163

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

I'm doing this all on my test server which is running 10.6.8 1.1.

Are your scripts bundled in a pkg?

I've been able to compile a GM build and a MacBook Air build. As well as create a Netboot Image for everything but the MacBook Air (Need to make new NBI for that one).

Allen

Not applicable

they're not my scripts -

it's one of the postinstall scripts straight off ESD.dmg

i was trying to start ultra simple - a configuration with no management - just the straight up lion install

my ESD.dmg came from a "real" app store download, as opposed to GM, but highly doubt that could be source of problem.

Jeffrey Compton

Lead I.S. Engineer | Mac Security | The MITRE Corporation | Office: 703-983-3163