Student Managed Apple IDs and verification codes

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

This started happening today.
We had to sign into three existing managed apple ids on a new or updated iPad. All three sent verification failed messages. The solution was to get a verification code from ASM and then sign into AppleID on a laptop. Once the apple id, password and verification code for the account were entered on the laptop, then the passcode could be successfully entered on the iPad.
we have over 1600 Middle School students signed into managed Apple IDs on iPads.
shoot me now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

From my Apple Ticket:

I have some potential good news this morning. It does appear that ASM engineering was able to patch this issue late in the day yesterday, and I can no longer reproduce the verification failed message today.

Please retry logging in with a new Managed Apple ID and following the password reset process. If you could let me know your results, I’ll provide that feedback to engineering to close the loop.

Thanks for your time on this and I will look forward to your reply.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Maybe you all are already seeing this and don't mind it?

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

This is why we don't use managed ID's (not because of your problem specifically). In our K-12 environment, there is no benefit to having Apple ID's, managed or otherwise. To be fair, we are 1 to 1.

lehmanp00
Contributor III

We started seeing this today. Same thing. If we have them sign-in to iCloud.com they get in right away with the new password.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

@lehmanp00 Are you being required to get a code from ASM?
Are you seeing it on active Apple IDs as well as new MAIDs?
Have you figured out a way to resolve it on the iPad without logging in on a computer?
And why is this needed?
We will have to re-evaluate, if this is the "new way" ...
What are we gaining and what time is lost getting them working?

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

We started getting the failed verification code message last week, but just on newly changed passcodes. Today we are seeing it on existing passcodes as well. I did not think to try the Verification code because that is supposed to just be for non-DEP devices. I have an Enterprise ticket submitted.

lehmanp00
Contributor III

Both old IDs that have the password changed and new. Some techs are saying if they:
"Most of the time if you hit update inventory, then send a blank push and then try to change the password it usually works. It's super irritating though."
The temp passcode from ASM is not getting accepted on the ipad. We are seeing with iOS 13.3 and 13.3.1

lehmanp00
Contributor III

I just entered an Apple Support ticket as well

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

We are seeing it on active Apple IDs that have NOT changed passcodes, but have to be re-signed in after iOS update. We are also seeing it on NEW Apple IDs that are still at the default code when we are assigning new enrollments to their ipads.
We are unable to sign into the pads without logging the Apple ID in on a computer and using the verification code we acquire from ASM. If a student updates their iOS on their own, how many will just disregard prompts and leaving iCloud logged out....causing a new point of confusion in the classroom.
And again I say WHY?? There's no commerce attached, what are we guarding here? Pages documents? COME ON
I also have opened a ticket with Apple Enterprise... which will sit there for three weeks and then they will close it

lehmanp00
Contributor III

We are able to use verification codes on MacOS and iCloud.com, however, on some of the accounts we are testing this issue with it says "The password has been reset by Admin. Please try again"
That tells me something isn't connecting the temp passwords in the change process on Apple's side.

lehmanp00
Contributor III

Update: Apple knows about the issue and is investigating. They did suggest a workaround that might work some of the time:

Try signing into iCloud.com with one of these Managed Apple IDs, use the verification code from ASM if requested, change the password there, then retry logging into the iPad

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Add me into the mix. I had created two accounts yesterday both of which failed and didn't allow me to create a password. I had to use an iPad running a beta version of the OS and setup with Shared iPad to change the password and allow logins on their assigned device. I tried iCloud.com as mentioned above but the account needs to be setup ahead of time on a device before it lets you use that. Grr.....

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

well...... I guess the good news is this does not seem like it is a planned "security enhancement"......

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

From my Apple Ticket:

I have some potential good news this morning. It does appear that ASM engineering was able to patch this issue late in the day yesterday, and I can no longer reproduce the verification failed message today.

Please retry logging in with a new Managed Apple ID and following the password reset process. If you could let me know your results, I’ll provide that feedback to engineering to close the loop.

Thanks for your time on this and I will look forward to your reply.

lehmanp00
Contributor III

We did a bunch of testing and the passcodes are working again.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I am also able to get in with new passcodes and change them properly.