Sublime Text Licensing Check Script - Check My Logic?

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Hey guys,

I am writing a script for use as an extension attribute which will check for the existence of Sublime Text.app, check that the console user isn't a local admin or root, and then go an check both Sublime Text 2 and also Sublime Text 3 and report back on whether either or is licensed. The script seems to be working for the most part, but I am getting a failure on the defaults read even though it should not be running when Sublime isn't installed (the script should just return "NA" to the JSS and exit). Any ideas?

#!/bin/sh

thisUser=`stat -f '%u %Su' /dev/console | awk '{ print $2 }'`
STV=`defaults read /Applications/Sublime Text.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleIdentifier`

if test -e /Applications/Sublime Text.app; then
    if [ $thisUser = "root" ]; then
        echo "User is root, bailing."
        exit
    elif [[ $thisUser == *admin* ]]; then
        echo "User is the local admin, bailing."
        exit
    else
    echo "User is not root or the local admin, checking Sublime Text."
        if [ "$STV" == "com.sublimetext.2" ]; then
            if test -e /Users/"$thisUser"/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 2/Local/License.sublime_license; then
                echo "<result>ST2 Licensed</result>"
            else 
                echo "<result>ST2 Unlicensed</result>"
            fi
        fi
        if [ "$STV" == "com.sublimetext.3" ]; then
            if test -e /Users/"$thisUser"/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Local/License.sublime_license; then
                echo "<result>ST3 Licensed</result>"
            else 
                echo "<result>ST3 Unlicensed</result>"
            fi   
        fi
    fi
    exit
else
    echo "<result>NA</result>"
    exit
fi

Heres what I get:

<result>NA</result>
2015-11-20 13:07:39.667 defaults[42900:4252084] The domain/default pair of (/Applications/Sublime Text.app/Contents/Info.plist, CFBundleIdentifier) does not exist

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

You're seeing the error because this line:

STV=`defaults read /Applications/Sublime Text.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleIdentifier`

is being evaluated by the script, meaning run by it, prior to the actual check to see if Sublime Text is installed. You can try either moving the whole defaults line into the section after the echo "User is not root or the local admin, checking Sublime Text." section, or, put it into a function that gets called by the script.

BTW, you can shorten the thisUser command to only stat, no need to pass through awk, like this:

stat -f%Su /dev/console

View solution in original post

hkabik
Valued Contributor

Maybe replace

#!/bin/sh

with

#!/bin/sh

if [ -f /Applications/Sublime Text.app/Contents/Info.plist ] ; then
    STV=$( defaults read /Applications/Sublime Text.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleIdentifier )

I think the logic there is right...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Gawd that formatting got butchered! Let me try to fix it.

mm2270

You're seeing the error because this line:

is being evaluated by the script, meaning run by it, prior to the actual check to see if Sublime Text is installed. You can try either moving the whole defaults line into the section after the echo "User is not root or the local admin, checking Sublime Text." section, or, put it into a function that gets called by the script.

BTW, you can shorten the thisUser command to only stat, no need to pass through awk, like this:

stat -f%Su /dev/console

hkabik
Valued Contributor

Maybe replace

#!/bin/sh

with

#!/bin/sh

STV=$( defaults read /Applications/Sublime Text.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleIdentifier )

I think the logic there is right...

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

You da man Mike! Thanks that did the trick!

I do have to rework the test for the .app though, because Sublime Text 2 and 3 have different app names: Sublime Text 2.app and Sublime Text.app (for 3).

hkabik
Valued Contributor

wildcard?

#!/bin/sh

STV=$( defaults read /Applications/Sublime Text*.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleIdentifier )

mm2270

Yes, a wildcard should work for that, but you'll need to test it. There's also mdfind, which can help you locate the path and full name of the Sublime application installed.

mdfind -onlyin /Applications/ 'kMDItemFSName == "Sublime Text*.app"'

That would return something like the following (for Sublime Text 2 as an example)

/Applications/Sublime Text 2.app

You can also try using the kMDItemDisplayName flag with mdfind. Not sure how it actually shows up, but the display name may just be "Sublime Text" for both versions.

mdfind -onlyin /Applications/ 'kMDItemDisplayName == "Sublime Text"'

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Im wondering if this wouldn't be better accomplished with two extension attributes: one for Sublime Text 3 and one for Sublime Text 2, as a user might have either or both...

mm2270

If there's a possibility of both being installed at the same time, then yes, it would complicate things for an EA, trying to get details on either one. Maybe they should be split up as you suggested.

OTOH, I'm pretty sure its possible to build an EA script that could report on the licensing for one or both, if both happen to be installed.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

I decided to go with two extension attributes to make the script(s) less complicated:

Sublime Text 2:

#!/bin/bash

thisUser=`stat -f%Su /dev/console`

# Test for user not being root or local admin

exit
exit
else
    echo "User is not root or the local admin, checking Sublime Text 2."
fi 

# Test for existance of Sublime Text 2

if test -e /Applications/Sublime Text 2.app; then
    if test -e /Users/"$thisUser"/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 2/Settings/License.sublime_license; then
        echo "<result>Licensed</result>"
    else 
        echo "<result>Unlicensed</result>"
    fi
else echo "<result>NA</result>"
exit
fi

Sublime Text 3:

#!/bin/bash

thisUser=`stat -f%Su /dev/console`

# Test for user not being root or local admin

exit
exit
else
    echo "User is not root or the local admin, checking Sublime Text 3."
fi 

# Test for existance of Sublime Text 3

if test -e /Users/"$thisUser"/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Local/License.sublime_license; then
        echo "<result>Licensed</result>"
    else 
        echo "<result>Unlicensed</result>"
    fi
else echo "<result>NA</result>"
exit
fi