Syntax for installing Safari 11.0.2 latest patch

dpinai
New Contributor III

We would like to solely push the 11.0.2 update for Safari via the a script using either Casper Remote or a policy but I can't seem to be able to find the correct syntax to do so. I ran software update --list but did not find the correct actual spelling. Was it omitted by default? I am able to run it separately through the AppStore however...

softwareupdate --list
Software Update Tool
Copyright 2002-2012 Apple Inc.

Finding available software
Software Update found the following new or updated software: Security Update 2017-003-10.10.5 Security Update 2017-003 (10.10.5), 399418K [recommended] [restart] RemoteDesktopClient-3.9.3 Remote Desktop Client Update (3.9.3), 8587K [recommended] * Safari10.1.2Yosemite-10.1.2 Safari (10.1.2), 71479K [recommended]

I have already tried softwareupdate --install Safari-11.0.2 but no luck there...

*softwareupdate --install Safari-11.0.2
Software Update Tool
Copyright 2002-2012 Apple Inc.

Finding available software
Safari-11.0.2: No such update
No updates are available.BoldText

Also, we just to deploy to a handful of users, the SUS is not yet setup here at this company.

Thank you for any advice on this!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dpinai
New Contributor III

Resolved...

It appears that you will need to be on the latest point upgrade (10.12.6) in order to be able to have Safari 11.0.2 update available in software updates. @jhbush1973 Your syntax was indeed correct, just needed to be on the correct version prior that's all. Thanks for your help/hints...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Looks like you're trying to install a Safari 11 update to a Yosemite Mac, which isn't available to my knowledge. The updates released from Apple are only for El Capitan and Sierra, as well as the 10.13.2 supplemental update for High Sierra.

dpinai
New Contributor III

@mm2270 I am actually on 10.12.6 Sierra for for the time being. Any other suggestions?

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

@dpinai this has been working for me.

#!/bin/sh

logger -t "Safari11.0.2Sierra-11.0.2" "Requesting install of Safari 11.0.2"
softwareupdate -i 'Safari11.0.2Sierra-11.0.2'
sleep 1

exit $?

dpinai
New Contributor III

@jhbush1973 Thanks for the quick script there. However, I tried running on 2 separate machines that are on 10.12.6 and got the following:

Software Update Tool
Copyright 2002-2015 Apple Inc.

Safari11.0.2Sierra-11.0.2: No such update
No updates are available.

Both systems are still on 10.x. Safari versions. On the side note, I was able to install it on mine earlier but selecting only through the AppStore. However I don't see the update listed on the two test machines within the AppStore even though a 10.x version of Safari is installed currently.

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

@dpinai that's odd I've been running this all day to patch Safari on our 10.12.6 Macs. I usually only see that response if the user has already installed the update, but the inventory hasn't been updated.

dpinai
New Contributor III

Resolved...

It appears that you will need to be on the latest point upgrade (10.12.6) in order to be able to have Safari 11.0.2 update available in software updates. @jhbush1973 Your syntax was indeed correct, just needed to be on the correct version prior that's all. Thanks for your help/hints...