T2 iMacs Dual Boot Deployment

Eyandell
New Contributor II

We’re looking into getting some new iMacs to replace a few aging labs in the district. Our only concern at this moment is that they would be Win 10 / MacOS 10.14 dual boot and the new T2 chips may get in the way of deploying Windows 10 to them. Our previous method of deployment was to use WinClone to create a .pkg then push it using Jamf. The T2 with secure boot looks like it’s not going to allow this process to work.

If anyone has experience with this or has any suggestions for deployment via Jamf. I'd appreciate the help. I’m not finding any answers on the Jamf forum or the web in general but I'll be asking here and our Apple sales engineer.

7 REPLIES 7

sshort
Valued Contributor

The new 2019 iMacs don't have the T2 chip, so you're actually set on that front.

tperfitt
New Contributor III

Winclone 7 works great with the new T2 macs. Also, I just updated this article that outlines the whole process:

https://twocanoes.com/knowledge-base/deploying-macos-and-windows-10-using-winclone-pro-and-mds/

Eyandell
New Contributor II

Thanks for the quick responses. For some reason I was under the impression all of the 2018+ hardware was T2 enabled. We already have Winclone 7 and it works well with our existing fleet so I'll give the go ahead to update the labs.

MacAdminLala
New Contributor II

@sshort

The new 2019 iMacs don't have the T2 chip, so you're actually set on that front.

I can't find any info on that. Is this officially reported?

JustDeWon
Contributor III

@MacAdminLala the T2 chips are not on the new 2019 iMacs, it was pretty much just a spec and graphics bump. T2 are still only on the devices stated here

omatsei
New Contributor III

I've been experimenting with MDS (Mac Deploy Stick ), in addition to Jamf. It's still under active development, but it's mostly working for me...

sshort
Valued Contributor
@MacAdminLala the T2 chips are not on the new 2019 iMacs, it was pretty much just a spec and graphics bump. T2 are still only on the devices stated here

@Eyandell That's a good support article to reference for models that support T2. Also, the new iMac tech specs page has no mention of T2.