The proper source for 10.7.3 for deployment?

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

Does anyone know if the InstallESD.dmg for 10.7 contains any markings, serialization, identifiers, hardware requirements that would lead to trouble if deployed in an enterprise environment?

For deployment at work, I know how to make a Casper Install config using a 10.7.x InstallESD.dmg. But I am not sure if I should use the trick of grabbing it from a Restore to an external drive of a Mac that shipped with Lion or if it is OK to use the download from the Apple store that is tied to my personal Apple ID Mac Developer account.

Is there any reason to worry about my source for a 10.7.3 InstallESD.dmg?

Jason

1 REPLY 1

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Nuttin. Nada. Zilch.

Of course you need to be properly licensed...

http://www.apple.com/mac/volume-licensing/

How it works. Downloading OS X Lion. When you purchase a volume license for OS X Lion, you will receive one redemption code per contract. Then follow these steps to download and install OS X Lion on every Mac that’s covered by your volume license. Open the Mac App Store and sign in with the Apple ID and password provided by your organization. In the Quick Links section, click Redeem. Enter the redemption code when prompted. The Lion installer will download to the Applications folder. It will also appear in the Dock. Do not install Lion. Instead, locate the Install OS X Lion application in the Applications folder. This is the application used to install Lion on your licensed Mac systems. Deploying OS X Lion. You can deploy OS X Lion using the same mass installation techniques you use today. To install Lion on multiple systems on a network, simply copy the Install Mac OS X Lion application to the target system, then run the installer. Lion will install in place, so there’s no need to start up from an external disk. Administrators can also use the System Image Utility included in OS X Lion Server to create a NetInstall or NetRestore image. As with previous versions of OS X, software updates for OS X Lion will continue to be provided through Software Update in OS X. You or your end users won’t have to enter an Apple ID to receive these software updates.

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com