The Same But Different

Bill_Hofius
New Contributor III

One of my users dropped their iPad and cracked the screen. I grabbed another iPad from inventory and in JAMF assigned this iPad to the same Department and Location as the damaged iPad.

Unfortunately, the replacement iPad is missing the applications the user most needs.

I compared the profiles installed on the damaged iPad and the new iPad. The profiles were identical, though the old iPad had an extra profile. I looked at that profile, saw that specific devices were added manually so I added the new iPad to this profile. Now both iPads had identical profiles. Both iPads should now have identical apps installed.

They don't.

The old iPad lists one of these apps in Self Service but that app is missing from Self Service on the newly configured iPad.

What am I missing?

2 REPLIES 2

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Trying to wrap my brain around how you're assigning these to users. Are you using a directory service to assign the user or simply creating then inside Jamf Pro?

You mentioned profiles which I take to assume configuration profiles, which don't involve app distribution. To me it sounds like the broken iPad has an app scoped to the device itself or a smart/static group that device belongs but the new one doesn't. I'd start by taking a look at the missing apps' scoping and see what's what.

Bill_Hofius
New Contributor III

Hello Steve and thanks for the response!

First, apologies for not using the jargon properly. I've been working with JAMF for about a month now and I have a lot to learn.

Second, on to my question... We have dozens of configuration profiles for our devices. Most profiles are either scoped for either a building or a department. If a person is working at the Blaine location and is in the Facilities department, the iPad they use will have been assigned to Blaine and Facilities.

I thought configuration profiles are what pushed apps to devices and of course removed/hid/restricted apps from being used.

I took another look at JAMF and took a look at the Mobile Device Apps section and I got my answer. The two apps are listed there and I can see to what devices the apps are pushed. I believe my confusion was due to an earlier issue where a couple of users needed access to Photos and access to this app was restricted in one of the profiles on their device. I assumed profiles controlled access to ALL apps.

Thanks again for point me in the right direction and making me think!