Trouble updating and uninstalling Mac App Store apps

cburrus
New Contributor

In the Mac App Store Apps section under Content Management, I have a policy to install Logic Pro X, which we set to stay at version 10.4.8 since it's a student lab and the teacher does not want the software to update in the middle of the semester.  They bought some new outboard gear and there's a requirement for Logic Pro to be on at least version 10.5 to use it, so it necessitates an update.

I want the teacher to test the software prior to updating the entire lab, so I removed that MacOS device from the scope of the policy for version 10.4.8 (and later also added it to the exclusion list).  Afterwards I see the VPP license free up, and Logic Pro is still installed on the computer and no pending actions on the device after it checks in.  I created a new policy for Logic Pro v 10.7.2 and set it to Automatically Force App Updates, set the distribution method to Install Automatically/Prompt Users to install, and then I added the device to the scope.  Afterwards, I allowed the device to check in.  Nothing ever happens.  Logic never attempts to update.  Similarly, if I change the distribution method to Make Available in Self Service, the app appears in Self Service, but clicking install just results in the app spinning in circles.  In Console.app I can see Logic downloading, but after it finishes it never tries to install or update anything.

For the sake of allowing the teacher to test the new outboard gear, I'm pretty sure I can manually remove Logic Pro 10.4.8 from the one device then allow Jamf to push 10.7.2.  However that isn't going to work for the entire lab, we don't have the support staff to go to each device and manually remove the app.  Looking through Jamf Pro documentation, I cannot find a way to remove a Mac Store App from a MacOS device through Jamf Pro.  I'm hoping this is just an oversight on my behalf, but I'm not finding resources when searching for it on Google either.

So this is kind of a two parter question - 1) why will Logic not update with the new policy even though it's excluded from the 10.4.8 policy and included in the scope of the 10.7.2 policy and 2) is there a straightforward way to uninstall Mac Store Apps from Jamf or will this require custom scripting and/or manual intervention on every device?

2 REPLIES 2

Sanchi
Contributor

VPP Mac apps don't uninstall when you descope them like in iOS.  Instead they remain active fro 30 days, then will will start bugging the user to assign a license to the app.

To uninstall it after you've descoped it from the license as a Mac App Store app in Jamf Pro, you need to use a policy together with either a script or one-liner in the Files and Processes payload to do this:
rm -rf /Applications/Logic Pro X.app

Same for any VPP Mac app as well.

A reason why you might find Logic hasn't updated is that Jamf Pro pre-allocates VPP licenses to Macs that are in scope, even if they're set as Self Service and the app hasn't been installed yet.  Check the "Search Volume Purchases section and look for Logic - check to see if your target device already has a license allocated to it that may be interfering with your installing a different version.

FinnishViking
New Contributor

I have same issue where Logic Pro won't update on all computers it has been installed to. Clicking force update does not do anything. Anyone sorted this out yet?