Troubleshooting Policy script

WZSmith
New Contributor

Hello, everyone.

I'm working on a policy to execute a shell script from a vendor that installs a piece of software. It's a rather large .sh file (24mb) and, if I'm reading it right, it looks like the majority of the file is the raw contents of a .tar that get expanded into a couple of files when it executes. 

I've uploaded the script and added it to a profile with the two parameters that it needs to run and, of course, it fails. Is there a log file somewhere on a client that will give me the output of the execution attempt? I'm hoping to get some clues about what's going on here other than the generic error message that pops up in Self Service.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

In your Jamf, go to the policy you created for that script you deployed. You should see a Log section at the bottom right of the policy. Then look at the detail button at the far right of the computer that it was deployed to. That should display if any what the error is. On the computer itself, you can try looking at the jamf.log file. You can find ithe log file in the Console app, then look in Log Reports on the left.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

In your Jamf, go to the policy you created for that script you deployed. You should see a Log section at the bottom right of the policy. Then look at the detail button at the far right of the computer that it was deployed to. That should display if any what the error is. On the computer itself, you can try looking at the jamf.log file. You can find ithe log file in the Console app, then look in Log Reports on the left.

WZSmith
New Contributor

Much appreciated! Coming from a MEM background, I'm used to having a log file locally for just about every individual operation.